DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Mike, you ought to try that short track. Its an enjoyable little hike that takes one off the beaten path and has some interesting points of interest. Even getting lost out there is kinda fun. The map is a good one if you know how to read it. In my previous post I think, out of an abundance of caution, I may have made it sound more challenging than it really is. The critical point on the way in is where that old road takes that right hand turn. If you go straight there, you'll do fine. The critical point on the way out is right after re-crossing the stream at the old bridge. The left hand turn onto the track is almost immediately after you make that crossing. Basically, if you find yourself still on a good road five minutes after crossing the stream, turn around and go back to the bridge.

Conservative estimate for time on that hike for a straight shot with no rests or stops for deciding which way to go would be an hour or so. Its a great lunch destination, pleasant and peaceful.

It's only gonna be 90* tomorrow and 87* on Saturday, come on up to New York for some real Butt Bake weather. It's 99* now, 98* tomorrow but cools down to 96* for Saturday.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Mike, you ought to try that short track. Its an enjoyable little hike that takes one off the beaten path and has some interesting points of interest. Even getting lost out there is kinda fun. The map is a good one if you know how to read it. In my previous post I think, out of an abundance of caution, I may have made it sound more challenging than it really is. The critical point on the way in is where that old road takes that right hand turn. If you go straight there, you'll do fine. The critical point on the way out is right after re-crossing the stream at the old bridge. The left hand turn onto the track is almost immediately after you make that crossing. Basically, if you find yourself still on a good road five minutes after crossing the stream, turn around and go back to the bridge.

Conservative estimate for time on that hike for a straight shot with no rests or stops for deciding which way to go would be an hour or so. Its a great lunch destination, pleasant and peaceful.
    Actually, I bet there's time to fit in a short track hike and a nap or three. I plan to do both.

I have forgotten... will I have cell coverage out there so that when I get to an unintended walkabout extension, I can pull up this thread for a reminder?
    Last edited by UncleMJM; 07-18-2013 at 11:53. Reason: additional question

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Actually, I bet there's time to fit in a short track hike and a nap or three. I plan to do both.

I have forgotten... will I have cell coverage out there so that when I get to an unintended walkabout extension, I can pull up this thread for a reminder?
    I have the Cheap Old Man's cell phone service that works in the city and 10 miles on either side of most interstates, so I couldn't tell you.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I have the Cheap Old Man's cell phone service that works in the city and 10 miles on either side of most interstates, so I couldn't tell you.
    No big deal. Just being lazy on this end. I have no problem with map and compass, just curious and, did I mention lazy?

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    Zpacks 8.5X11
    Insulation
    EE Enigma/Revolt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post

I've been out there a couple of times and had spotty cell coverage (AT&T) on the surrounding trail, but never could get a signal at Hidden Lake.

I'm jealous I won't be able to get out there. Y'all have fun!

-Matt

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    Daniel and I will probably take off later on Saturday morning to the lake. Packing everything right now, working on food and ice in coolers. The sauerkraut is awesome. I packed the new hammock into it's bag, the sucker weighs 2.4 lbs. I was trying for lighter, not necessarily ultralight, but it came out bigger.

Be there tomorrow,

Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Everything that doesn't need to be in the fridge or that I'm actually using is in the truck, except the pack. Dogs might be a bit cramped in the backseat.

Got an nice watermelon and a package of 40 tortillas. I should hit the road around 1000-1100, get to the site around 1200-1300, but prolly not after 1400.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Snacks

We do not expect to get there in time for dinner so are bringing some praline bars to share for the after party.
    Bob and Bev

"The measure of a life is not its duration but its donation." Corrie Ten Boom

"Life is measured not by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away." attributed to a variety of different people

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

FEEs? Registration?

Do we need to register for this hike and camps somewhere? If so where?
    Bob and Bev

"The measure of a life is not its duration but its donation." Corrie Ten Boom

"Life is measured not by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away." attributed to a variety of different people

• + New Posts
  • Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast