Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Great trip

7-19-2013
    The Wanna Bs arrived at parking lot 9 after 10 PM right when the party was breaking up, late with our praline bars. We were newbies setting up after dark and with forecasted rain and with a tarp over only one of the hammocks. Still we were in the Sam Houston National Forest. The trees are large in height and some in girth. There was tad bit of breeze, no wait….that was the little Wal-Mart fan hanging from the ridgeline. Still lying in the hammock in a wilderness did what it usually does to my heart, causing it to stretch with the filling.
    We awoke and quickly repacked out packs for what was supposed to be a two mile hike through an unmarked but mapped trail to hidden lake. Sargevining was our leader having made more than one other hike into this lake getting lost each time, but he was certain he had it down now. One hiker opted to bring a wagon loaded with water, many had small stools strapped to their packs, all were ready and waiting for our fearless leader who had been caught up with others cleaning up after the party and not willing to go until all food stuff was hidden from the raccoons. Bob took the opportunity to hand out our praline bars to hikers as a last minute energy boost.
    With us were a few Lone Star Hiking Trail officiados, wanting evidently to experience the hike without wanting to stay and hang yet interested in everything. I tried to talk Bob in going ahead and starting up the trail, knowing full well that the others would soon catch up and pass us but thinking that perhaps we would not be such a drag on the group. We are not exactly hikers, more like walkers. He wanted to wait and go with the group. As usual he was right. It is much better to get lost as a group.
    It was great to be hiking again. The last time we did a group hike it was at Lake Texhoma with Caveman, Rhjanes, Brute1100, and MarkRVP and family . That adventure was a direct contrast to the Butt Bake hike as it was done in the winter, sleeping in 18 degree weather. Also the fact that my knees totally gave out that trip made me wary of doing the same again on this round. I downed 6 Vitamin I’s early Sat a.m. in the hope of preventing that.
    With our speed, I realized that once again the others would have to continually wait for us, during which time they would have a drink of water and a rest then when we caught up be ready to head out. Also, most were much younger and frankly could not only keep a faster pace but also needed less breaks. Still, we really needed this type hike and experience if we were ever going to be able to hike the AT by goal date. We just hoped that we would not feel like the dead weight we were so we cheerfully allowed one after the other pass us up on the trail, including the hiker toting a wagon and ended up so far behind we could barely see the tail end of the group even when out where the trail coincided with an old road. By this time the wagon had been left behind in the woods. “Too noisy” was the reported reason.
    After hiking perhaps three times the miles originally intended with many “where are we now?” stops aiding Bob and I’s efforts to catch up but never lasting long enough for us to catch a drink of water or our breath, Hidden lake was revealed. It was a nice little pond in the middle of the woods. Everyone split up to find their trees. Sarge and some went almost half way round to a nice little spot close to the lake with some nice trees. Gimpy was fairly close-by so it was he that I employed to give up advice as to our chosen hanging spot. There was a very large crooked dead branch hung up in the branches above. It seemed secure to Bob but I was a little worried. With Gimp checking it out and also fearing for our safety, we looked for another spot. I was very thankful later that Bob insisted on staying at the top of the hill. We had a nice breeze that subdued some the “baking” or as Sarge said “boiling” that was to be a part of this adventure. The “wild group” that stayed in the ghetto or in the valley had no breeze but was reportedly able to find a way to “heat things up” even more with a little forest fire. Caveman claimed he was just burning the décor off his shoes.
    Bob and I went from site to site learning about different tarps and different set ups. Rhjanes showed us how he set his hang up so that he could adjust any tie downs while still under his tarp. . I was also impressed with the way Rhjanes drew the doors of his Superfly back but he needs to make a video because I have forgotten much of what he showed us. It had to do with a little do dad that he purchased for not too much. He also showed us a very neat DIY pill box made by joining two bottle tops together. I also learned something about making sure the ridgeline was on top not under a hex shaped tarp or face a leak. Superspidy showed us how he used the prussic to be able to adjust where his tarp set over his hammock. Sargevining showed us the backpack he custom designed which set my mind to reeling as to what my custom design would look like if I could ever afford that luxury. I really liked some of the items on his backpack but” light” is very important to me. There is surely a way to incorporate some aspects of the two. Another fellow who was very kind to us, while on the trail and loved to take pictures showed us his gear and put into my mind the idea of wearing some of the weight up front. Perhaps that would help. More gear to buy . When will it ever end. We also learned that some of what we “learned” at the last hang was just one man’s opinion. We have still much to learn, experience, and experiment with before our AT hike. I hope to take the prussic knot as at least one item learned that I make my own. I think we may also have made a decision about which tarp to purchase once we save a little, the WBsuperfly. We also want to check out Dutch clips for a much quicker and efficient set up.
    Once set up and visiting around there was little to do for anyone except those who had taken the much shorter trip back to the lot and back bringing refreshment to help them forget the heat and any other worry. We sat in a circle talking about gear, ultra light, names, exchanging chairs and humor. The nice breeze off the lake made the “ghetto” dwellers rethink their hangs. Despite the heat we eventually started a little fire in order for Bob and I to cook our steak , potato, and onion wraps. Most of the others sensibly brought Mountain House or some other easily heated and light weight to care meals. We did take our meals to our “spot” not just out of courtesy but also so Bob could sit down to eat. Getting down to “ground” or even the small logs was more than difficult for him, let alone getting back up. We enjoyed our feast sitting side by side on his hammock. It is a bit stuffy sitting side by side in a hammock in the humid heat but the food was good and we were off our feet. We must remember to always face our WB hammocks with the open sides facing so we can be sociable with each other without the squeeze.
    We cleaned up then rejoined the group to catch some of the frivolity. We bedded at 8, long before sundown and long before the group broke up, so Bob could get off his feet completely. I thought it would take me a long time to get to sleep. A severe headache through the afternoon and the night was my downside. I think it was caused by dehydration and heat. I tried to keep my chin up and be pleasant and I think I fairly succeeded.
    The next morning, we ate our oatmeal there at the camp being careful to clear the pine needles from where we were setting up our alcohol stove so that we would not repeat the “wild bunch’s” fun of the day before. Bob went down to where the group was visiting and came back telling me that if we could get our camp down within ten minutes we might be able to follow the first group out. Otherwise we would probably have to wait for Sarge who reportedly did not plan to leave until about noon. We hoped to get an earlier start back than that. We were fairly certain that we would not be able to find our own way back despite listening to Gimpy tell the group the night before that it was much easier on the way back because all the Ys went toward the lake and we just needed to follow the trail to the road then the road to the camp. Well, we are not too quick with break downs and the first group carried on, but fortunately two hikers waited for us and also waited for another who was due to be ready about when we would. We were glad we went with this group rather than going it alone, because there were at least two places that our instinct would have told us to go a different way back than the correct way as we were led. Once on the road, with no more threat of being lost in the woods or holding others up, we sat on a tall log and caught our breath.
    It was sad leaving the forest, the hike, and the camaraderie behind but we promised ourselves to come back another time and hike perhaps one of the better marked trails in the beautiful area. . I feel bad that I am unable to name all the great guys who so willingly shared their experience with us, maybe after the next hang. Thanks to all who waited on us, to all who shared their knowledge and experience with us, to all who shared their humor with us It was a great time even by those of us who stayed sober. Even, Muffin, my Shitzu enjoyed the adventure until the inevitable bath and tick check.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob and Bev

"The measure of a life is not its duration but its donation." Corrie Ten Boom

"Life is measured not by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away." attributed to a variety of different people

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    Nice write up, Mrs. WannaBe! We just made it back to Memphis. Thanks for all the fun, we had a great time. Actually Sarge was waiting on me for Sunday morning, so I was last to pack up.
    Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images

Second Annual Texas Butt Bake>July 19-21>New Waverly, TX

Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Hey Bev, Most excellent trip report. I suspect this will wind up being copy and pasted to a "trip report" thread. That headache was most likely, as you suspect, dehydration. I have learned that I need a lot more water than I think. If I don't get it, I feel that "top of the head over the eyes" ache start. I IMMEDIATELY drink till my stomach sloshes. That usually means the headache will go away within 30 minutes. Vitimin-I helps.
    The knots you probably want to learn. The Prussik. The Bowline. Those two, are about the most useful. Clove hitch is easy, but can't take a lot of weight. A Fishermans knot, I use when joining two ropes, or two ends, together. The Marlinspike hitch, if you use toggles. Super easy to do. Shug shows it in his first video. A sheet bend can be handy. As we were also saying, going with Dutch gear, eliminates a lot of knots.
    Those door ties. I tied a Bowline in some 1.75 Zing-it, but also had small plastic mitten hooks attached in that loop. That loop then can be placed over a stake, or the mitten hook can hold the door open to a side pull-out tie-out. Or closed to the opposite stake, or use the mitten hook into the plastic ring for the opposite side tie out.
    For the adjusters at the doors, I take maybe 6 inches of zing-it and tie a fishermans knot in it, making a loop. That then it looped onto the door tie out of the tie-down. The other end has a mini-line-lock, which you can buy from this very forum. That is the adjuster. Pull to tighten, pull back on itself to release. The way to do it with out the line-locks (also called "cleats" in nautical terms) is to just have a prussik up at your door or tie-down for your tarp. Then, you are always under the tarp to make adjustments to tension.

My 3G not-so-smart-phone app, is from Columbia. Called WhatKnot. It was free.

The author I recomended to you for AT, Jennifer Pharr Davis. She wrote her first book after her first thru hike when she was just out of college. Becomming Odyssa is the book. Her just-released book is about her Husband supported hike, North to South, in 46 days, smashing the old record by like 28 hours. "Called Again" is it. I recommend both. They are NOT like trip reports. Nor are they gear discussions.

And here is the thread (Thanks to the link goes to Caveman), for those line locks.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=25052
    Last edited by rhjanes; 07-21-2013 at 22:14.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Very good report Bev, but don't believe everything you hear about me "down in the ghetto." Patrick, Daniel, and I were back at Parking Lot #8 by 9:15, just in time to get some Gatorade from Zort before he headed down the road and eight after a blue SUV drove out of the parking lot.

It was great meeting you and Bob and hoping to see you on the trail again soon.

Hammock
    DIY 7.44oz with suspension
    Tarp
    WL tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ & WL TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna glide Woopie
    This was my first hang and it was great! I had a blast and learned some things too. Thanks for everything! I'm looking forward to November already!
    "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
    -Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat/gheto diy
    Insulation
    pads/PLUQ
    Suspension
    diy straps

Second Annual Texas Butt Bake>July 19-21>New Waverly, TX

Sounds like I missed out. The hectic schedule building the largest skateboard park in the free world kept me from finishing my bug net in time. Crunch time for some big concrete pours this week had me trudging through a muddy construction site in heavy boots and tool belts all day Saturday. 200,000+ sq ft job site means a lot of walking, and there is even poison oak, bugs, rain, and sun burn, so I was there in spirit! Glad y'all had fun!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    some photos
    Left to right, top row
    Dark and foreboding start of the trail
    Friday night pot-licking, I mean luck
    Downed bridge just before the lake
    Gimpy and Caveman searching for chupacabra dung (so they could light a forest....I mean a fire)
    Hidden lake

Left to right, bottom row
    My hang "in the ghetto"
    parking lot
    Gimpy still setting upright, somehow.
    Intrepid hikers entering the unknown.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rhjanes; 07-24-2013 at 14:38.
    Call me Junior

"For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Gimpy sure can drink....

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    Gimpy sure can drink....
    He was thirsty after you made him hike out and back with more............
    Call me Junior

• + New Posts
  • Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast