Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images

The birth and death of the frankensulation

I have been meaning to tell this story for a while but it has been still developing untill a day ago.

When I bought my first hammock, the HH Safari, I was already convinced that I wanted an underquilt instead of a pad for all the common reasons you read about.
    I couldn't afford a "pro" built quilt and my sewing skills are..... well I gots none!
    I had been reading, and reading, and reading, and...... well you get it, all about the different options and tests people had tried (thanks all very much by the way) and had come up with a plan that I was sure I could pull off.

After combing my mad scientist eyebrows and getting my maniacle laugh just right, off I ran to the lab, Or basement. (whatever, It's my basement and I'll call it what I want.)

The idea was basically to create a quilt substitute and hang it under my hammock using the body of a netless safari to hold it in place.

I started out with a 40 deg. sleeping bag I picked up at the thriftstore for $5.
    It was old and beaten, and there was no loft left in the sythetic material. It had a nylon outer shell and a "cough, cough." cotton liner.
    I cut it into a really odd asym shape that I figured would cover most my body well and ran to my feet. I then sealed the cut edges with.....Electrician tape. told ya I couldn't sew.
    Next I cut a space blanket to fit the bag. It was a cool space blanket that makes almost no noise compared to the normal crinkley stuff.
    I covered that layer with a mid weight fleece layer and then taped the whole thing together around the perimeter.

The plan was that the nylon shell would block wind, the insulation would do what it does, the space blanket would save some radiant heat and also protect the cotton layer from moisture, and the fleece would provide the airspace for the spcae blanket to do it's thing and also hopefully prevent condensation. And the Safari bottom would hold the whole thing in place.

It was butt ugly, and I can't stress that enough. But It worked. Oh, and it would not fit back into the original stuff sack that the bag came in. BUUUUULKY.
    At this point I will also skip the details on how much work went into fitting the netless safari bottom over the whole mess, cuz it's embarrassing. Let's say though I learned a valuable lesson in overthinking and the benefits of shock cord.

By this time I had my warbonnet BB so I had to change it again.
    YES, I thought. This would give me a chance to reduce the bulk. So i made it into a 3/4 length and shaved some more off the sides. A also added some loops at the corners so I could drop the Safari bottom thing, and add shockcord suspension. This time I managed to "sew" the thing back together with A feed bag sealing machine I borrowed from work. It uses light string to stitch bags up. A little nicer than black tape but, WOW, still so ugly. I also made a makeshift drawstring at each end to seal it up with.

Again it worked, but it still just barely fit into the stuff sack.
    The other problem was that I had it adjusted perfectly the first couple times until I went out last time and didn't hang it right at all. It was very uncomfy.I won't say I got cold as there is a side story to this part that I will post elsewhere.
    I was getting frustrated at being so close and yet knowing it was still just a monster.

So I figured I would try something similar with a down sleeping bag but all I've managed to find is a trashed old army surplus one for $85.
    That's when I shut down power to the lab, gave Brandon a shout, and ordered a Yeti.

Either way I guess I'm sleeping with a monster.
    There glad thats off my chest.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    I thought I should come back and include the results of the frankensulation.
    It was working very well in temps from about 45-28 F
    and in dry, light-med rain, and some mist and fog. It wasn't damp or wet that I could notice and was well warm enough.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    this actually sounds like an idea I had. The difference is that I am thinking of making an "insulated hammock". I am thinking of using a double layer of 1.9 for the body, and the lining it with some high loft polar fleece. This should block the wind, as well as let it breathe, not to mention feel really nice. Don't know how well, or even if it will work. If anything, it should feel real nice on a cool day.

Yeah you treat yourself.Can't be showing the Blackbird up now can we.
    Your pic of the monkey donning a suit and gun has me in stiches

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The feed bag sealer was a stroke of genius. They actually make handheld, portable "sewing machines" that work on exactly, and I mean exactly the same principle. It is technically called a "chain stitch" and uses a single thread to hold things together. brilliant adaptation.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts