Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Images

Looking Forward to Some Ohio Group/Family Hangs

Looks like I missed a nice hang at Mohican; too bad I didn't find this site a few weeks earlier. Maybe next time...

I just got into hanging, but in a roundabout way: I'm on an Ohio search and rescue team, and was looking for a shelter for my pack. A hammock seemed perfect: light, compact, and far nicer than an emergency bivy. So, I got a Warbonnet Blackbird. After using it once during overnight training (it got down to 26 degrees, but I did fine), I hung it in the city park behind my house to show my wife. Now she wants one, so just this morning I ordered another Blackbird. We'll be looking to do some casual trips, and it just makes sense to join other hangers who seem, based on the threads here, to share our view of camping. Plus, we could learn a lot from experienced hangers.

Was in Ohio this last month and became SarTech II certified. Started backpacking last summer, went to Pinkney MI 3 times last year, that is a hard trail for me so looking for easier walks this year. where do you go in Ohio? Looking on the internet Zaleski, Mohican, look like nice places but quite a drive for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Images
    Wow, SarTech II! Congratulations! We have a guy with that level of certification, and he's pretty hardcore. I'm still working on becoming Callout Qualified (rope training and gear is the last piece I need).

Sorry, can't help with closer hiking; I don't know Northern Ohio very well. Isn't there some nice hiking around Great Bear Dunes? Seems like someone told me that a while ago.

My son live in northern Ohio so we are trying to find a happy place between us. There are some nice trails in northern Michigan according to "Backpacking in Michigan" book. I'm just starting out but like the loop type(?) trails, hike in camp and hike out. Looking forward to this year hope yours is good also.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Images
    You might try this book: Hiking Ohio: a guide to Ohio's greatest hiking adventures. I got it several months back, and it gives first-hand information and commentary, not just maps and mileage. I'll take a look tonight and see how well it covers Northern Ohio.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Zaleski is very rough terrain, Mohican is much easier. What team are you part of in your area? We have several teams in our area and a dog team as well. I do the technical rescue side of things. A hammock makes perfect sense for the go bag.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Images
    I'm with R.A.C.E. (Rapid Assistance to Community Emergencies). We're based in Delaware County, but will travel up to four hours, give or take, to help with a search.
    Last edited by jmstallard; 05-14-2013 at 14:25.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Very nice to have you here. The Ohio gang is pretty active and try to do a hang every month. Just keep your eyes on the trip planning section. Anyone can throw one together. Just pick a weekend your available and where you want to go....and those that can make it, will. We usually keep things informal and cook our own meals, and plan our own days, so it's not like some of the bigger formal hangs some states do. I would love to get around to planning one of those though.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I dont think Zaleski is rough at all. It offers some good options. Anything from parking on the service road and walking in a hundred yards to a multiple day hike.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    I dont think Zaleski is rough at all. It offers some good options. Anything from parking on the service road and walking in a hundred yards to a multiple day hike.
    That's cause you're hardcore

That NOBO trail up to H breaks me off on that last 1/3rd of the trail.

Farm country in NW ohio, not a lot of great hiking.

OP, keep your eyes out, always hangs going on. We're pretty active in Ohio as far as getting out together. 1-2 hangs a month. My buddy and I actually have some good hang sites over north of the reservoir as well for overnight fishing. Hope to see ya'll out

• + New Posts