Hammock
    ENO DN as of right now.
    Tarp
    Silnylon Equinox
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag

What can I get away with??

Hey everyone! I am in the NW Ohio region and stick between Northern Mi and Southern OH for most of my trips.

I am just wondering for my region what can I get away with for say May-September. I am already planning on a TQ but do you think I will need an UQ as well or will I be warm enoug without one?

-Woody
    "If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money."

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Hey everyone! I am in the NW Ohio region and stick between Northern Mi and Southern OH for most of my trips.

I am just wondering for my region what can I get away with for say May-September. I am already planning on a TQ but do you think I will need an UQ as well or will I be warm enoug without one?

-Woody
    If you are a warm sleeper and have a good TQ, you might be fine without an UQ.
    Locally (and north where I prefer to play), it gets cool at night (even mid summer), so I'm looking at a pad or something as my UQ. Not going really heavy.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    if it gets into the 70's at night you may need an UQ. You will be surprised at how cool it will get in the evening even in the high 70's. You can search the forums for many DIY quilts that you can make, such as a poncho liner UQ. You can pick them up all day long on ebay for 8 or 9 bucks and do a little modification to it and those usually work fine during the months you listed. Also will help with the skeeters if you do not have a bug net. They will bite through the underside of your hammock, Hope that helps!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Most folks feel the need for under insulation for anything below 70. Convective cooling can really be felt in a hammock. The slightest air movement can chill you. A pad is a possible option but many folks don't fee they are as comfortable.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    ENO DN as of right now.
    Tarp
    Silnylon Equinox
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag
    Wow I never would've guessed it would feel that cool in the 70's. I am really glad I asked first before trekking out without an UQ. A pad does sound like a good option, but I'm starting to think for the price of a decent pad, I could add a bit more and get a decent UQ. Thanks for the info guys! -Woody
    "If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money."

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Nothing wrong with a cheap blue closed cell pad. I'm sure many of us started out there and it does the job.

If you can find it, reflectix makes a nice cheap LIGHT pad. R-value of 3.7 which will cover your specified range of temps. I think the 25" wide 25' long roll is 25.00 but that's 4 pads, so about 6.00 a pad. Don't last forever but I think 1 will make it through a season, maybe 2. Either way, I'm out 6.00 a pad. worth it to get out and get going.

Look in the housing insulation section of your hardware stores like Home Depot or reference their websites for your local store.

• + New Posts