Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Questions for my first DIY stand. (Turtledog)

My husband and I want to try switching from our bed to hammocks. I was originally going to hang them on the walls but after moving into the new rental house I'm thinking I really don't trust the construction here. So this is my plan now. I've been reading all over the forums for information. I'm ordering two of these babies tomorrow http://www.mayans.com/jumbohammock.php Does anyone have any experience with these? Would a jumbo size be overkill for a bed for one person? (we are about 5'10 and 200 pounds each.) Are they comfortable enough to use for a full time bed?

I think I figured out that a turtledog stand would work with a Mayan hammock so I'm planning on building two this weekend. Although I did come across an interesting idea of using three tripods with the two poles sharing one tripod and the other two angled so that we could hang fairly close to each other. I haven't figured out how it would work with two poles on one tripod without them knocking up against each other. Does anyone have any ideas for me there? Otherwise I will just make two full stands and overlap the legs. We have a fairly large bedroom at about 15' by 15' and 8 foot ceilings so I should have plenty of space. I do have some questions on the Turtledog stand;

I would love the option of having my husband climb in the hammock with me, and maybe a toddler or two, plus baby. Because we both weigh about 200 and our kids are big toddlers at 35+ pounds each I'd need to make sure it could hold quite a bit of weight. Is there a way to do this safely?

I've never really done any kind of building project so bare with me here. I don't care about portability as once it's set up it's not likely to go anywhere for a long time.

I was wondering if I could use 4X4s and if doing so would make sure it could accommodation 500-600 pounds or so?

Are there none treated 4X4s?

Would the hinge and crosspipe, I think it's called the ridgepole (plus other hardware accommodate that much weight? If not is there a modification I can do to ensure it?

Having little kids around I am far more concerned that it's super safe then how it looks or how big it is. On that note, would it be a good idea to screw in 2X4s from tripod leg to tripod leg to ensure it doesn't fold in or slide out?

My other question is on the height and width I would need to make the stand. From their website the specs for the hammock is
    ■ Body length = 2.20 meters / 7.21 ft
    ■ Body width = 3 mts / 9.84 ft
    ■ Hammock length = 4.3 meters / 14.10 ft

I was looking up the hanging calculator but I'd have to already know the distance between the tripods and that's one of the things I am trying to figure out. I also don't know what hang angle I need or even what sit height to put in. Will it matter that most of the time there will only be 220 pounds in it but some of the time there will be double that? I think I read on a post that with the Mayans the hang angle works differently than a camping hammock so as to get a flatter bed when you lay diagonally. On yet another post I read that with the Mayans you want to slightly raise the head side. I'm not sure if I am remembering that right.

Any help with any of these questions (or things I'm not thinking of) would be absolutely great. Thanks in advance. I'm getting excited and so very much want to get started.
    Last edited by MistRiver; 04-16-2013 at 16:42. Reason: Clarify

Hammock
    HH, tablecloth, Peruvian
    I have that size Mayan hammock in my classroom (I am a public school teacher who will do anything to motivate kids!) It is pretty darn big, maybe overkill. But may I suggest getting a Brazilian hammock for full time hanging? Unless you and your wife are seriously hot sleepers or you keep your house at Yucatan Peninsula temperature, you may get a cold backside. IMO I would go with a double. Here are some threads discussing this.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=37483
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=36369
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=33652

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    On the stand, you could bolt the ends of the top rail together and use a forged eye to attach to the stand... Anything 3/8" or larger should be more than sufficient to support the two poles. I would use a lock washer, or a nylon lock-nut... just because I don't like falling down... The other option is the hinge has 2 bolt holes, use a quick link on each and tie them to an eye bolt, 1 per ridge pole.

4x4's would be complete overkill, 2x4's would support lots of weight.... You need to consider that each tripod takes roughly half the weight of the attached hammock and occupant... In the three-tripod scenario, the one common tripod would take the average weight of the two hangers... On my turtledog stand, each 2x2 stand easily supported my 220# bulk individually with almost no flex... The forces on a TDS are all downward, except on a ridge pole, which are inward... If you needed to reinforce a ridgepole, you could drive a dowel down the middle... it's really the middle that experiences the most flex. Since you're buying 10' chain link top rail, and your stand is semi-permanent, I would leave the ridge-pole as one piece.

From the stand perspective, if you look at the well-designed ones, the tops of the supports are mitred (angled) to prevent the legs from splaying outward. If you're worried about them falling down from a little-person impact, you could just screw the tops together.

Hope this helps!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

You seem to be wanting a stand that is stronger and less portable. This is not really what the turtle dog is best for. There are other designs on this sight for what you seem to be wanting. I just can't remember the names for them. Perhaps someone else well remember.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    ENO DN or GTUL
    Tarp
    Tad Pole or Kelty
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I built mine with 2x6s and it is solid and I would load 500 pounds on there without thinking twice. There are probably other designs but if you wanted to go that way, you could put a 2x4 across the top. They say with the 2x4 designs that the tarp Ridgeline tends to sag - with my 2x6 stand that doesn't happen but with a "wooden Ridgeline" you definitely wouldn't get that sag. 4x4 would be overkill, with these stands the strength comes from the 4 inches of width of the boards and the angle that the uprights meet the base. So getting a 2x6 would give you a little more strength if you want it.

Hammock
    ENO DN or GTUL
    Tarp
    Tad Pole or Kelty
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I "stand" corrected. My stand isn't a turtle dog, its the other DIY stand that's out there....basically everything I said doesn't apply. I have no experience with the turtledog stand.

Thank you for all of the advice. I am looking into the Brazilian hammock. I'm not stuck on the turtle dog. It's just the one I could find that might work. If there is another one out there that would work much better for a semi permanent structure I would love if someone could link me the thread please. That or just a name so I can search for them. Thanks.

Hammock
    ENO DN or GTUL
    Tarp
    Tad Pole or Kelty
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You could build one like a set of tall sawhorses.... 2x4 legs, 2x6x10 top rail...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Almaxey: is the stand you use that you think would hold 500 pounds the one you linked?

JohnSawyer: Would the top be wood then? Would that be able to hold that much weight?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast