Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I had DEET leak in a pack in my old Explorer. Ate through everything it pooled up on.

I don't think a sprayable amount that may be on your body would eat through it, no.

For clarification, DEET IS NOT ment to be sprayed directly on the skin. That's why most bug sprays are only 33% max. Absorbs in your epidermis 100% deet you spray your cuffs and clothing around openings to your skin.

Permethrin, on the other hand is used in creams to treat stuff like scabies and chiggers, that can do directly on the skin.
    That may be true of permethrin creams; it is NOT the case with the product sold as a spray or dip. It is not, apparently, the permethrin, but the carrier.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    When going to the woods this week to mushroom hunt and totally bushwack in the brush, I will strip down and spray down with deet, then put my clothes on, which will be as I dress hiking, nylon shirt, pants, smartwool socks, and my or gaiters on as well,,the deet we buy today is pretty much watered down and doesn't do any damage to my clothing, but,,it will take the paint right off my fishing rods, and eat right thru nylon fishing line for example,,and have had my arm resting on the window of the toyota years ago, with the window down, taking the paint right off the metal. I also have a couple of small bottles of 100% deet. I wouldn't want to get that stuff on anything as it will eat right thru the stuff..so I sometimes get that in the palms of my hands and rub it on. You just have to be careful with deet and where and how you use it. I guess I have been pretty lucky using it but have had it eating paint and such before.

I sure don't want to get any deet on cuben material either.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Shenandah,Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I've seen some slight staining / dark discoloration when sprayed directly on nylon; nothing that impacts strength or durability though.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    That may be true of permethrin creams; it is NOT the case with the product sold as a spray or dip. It is not, apparently, the permethrin, but the carrier.
    That's a good point OG, the spray does have permethrin but is still not OK for direct contact. concentration seems to play a factor.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images

Re: Deet and the Hennessey Hammock

I had DEET leak in a pack in my old Explorer. Ate through everything it pooled up on.

I don't think a sprayable amount that may be on your body would eat through it, no.

For clarification, DEET IS NOT ment to be sprayed directly on the skin. That's why most bug sprays are only 33% max. Absorbs in your epidermis 100% deet you spray your cuffs and clothing around openings to your skin.

Permethrin, on the other hand is used in creams to treat stuff like scabies and chiggers, that can do directly on the skin.
    I feel like you might have that backwards. I have some 98% deet that seems approved for skin, and some 3% permethrin that has clear warnings about only using it to treat fabrics and not applying it directly to the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob3E View Post
    I feel like you might have that backwards. I have some 98% deet that seems approved for skin, and some 3% permethrin that has clear warnings about only using it to treat fabrics and not applying it directly to the skin.
    I was actually told by a physician that 100% deet will absorb through the skin and do liver damage. He thought I was crazy for spraying it on my skin. Then again docs can be ultra-precautionary.

That's also why I mentioned concentrations. I don't know any product that's 100% permethrin, but I know they sell 100% deet. Whether one is worse than the other, the way they are offered to the public are what they are.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I was actually told by a physician that 100% deet will absorb through the skin and do liver damage.
    My old roomate is a doctor, first time we went camping and I brought out the 100% DEET and started to put it on he freaked out and told me the same thing.
    I pointed out the amount of booze he drinks was probably worse so we were even since I don't drink.

Brady

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Just a few thoughts on this.

First...Permethrin doesn't have to cover 100% of your body to be effective.

I typically treat my hammock, my hiking pants, a loose overshirt that I wear open as a jacket at night, and my sunhat.

I don't use any other kind of insect protection, discounting the bug net itself on my hammock.

Since I've started doing this, I've yet to get a mosquito bite or find an attached tick.

So I agree with others...I think you're better off going that route over dousing yourself in DEET. No risk to your hammock, no risk to your liver...there ya go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12