DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

DIY PLUQ questions

Well I have my PL all set up and ready to go. I'm using one from the late 70s that my dad was issued. So it's warn but I've been using it for years and it's still good as new. My main question, instead of using shock cord to cinch the ends shut, could I use a different small gauge cord? I have a 50 ft roll of guyline I was thinking of using so I don't have to buy the shock cord, due to low funds. It will stretch a little but while laying in my hammock today pondering this, I couldn't think of a reason it wouldn't work. What do you guys think? I'd still use cord locks of course. And I was also thinking of using 550 cord to attach it to my whoopies. Can you guys for see any problems with this? Cause to me this all seems like a good setup for warmer weather. And using a pad between the layers when the temps dip into the low 40s.

Opinions?
    Grant

Getting lost is not a waste of time.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Well the cordage would not give like shock cord so in order for you to get it tight enough to close the gaps it may be an irritation to you not having it give any. And using a pad in between would probably cause a gap also, you want it up against the bottom of the quilt, you would be better off sleeping on the pad and adjust the PLUQ up against the bottom of hammock. Hope this helps, just some things to check as you trial and error your idea
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That makes sense. And I guess the only way to see how much of an irritation it is without trying it. Right? I suppose if it's a huge problem I can replace it down the road. As for the pad causing gaps, dang. I thought it was a good idea. Thanks for the tips mountnman.
    Grant

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    For stretchiness, how bout using some old boxers or undies and cutting the waistband off to give a little stretch. Then when funds are available you can buy a 100' roll for like $15 off amazon. I know the underwear thing is kind of weird, but it would work with a couple on each end... Or get a bunch of those hair tie things that might be laying around and knot a bunch together.

Or maybe someone will be nice enough to mail you 10' or so free of charge, then you won't look too weird hanging in the woods should someone stumble upon your camp.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well since I'm a little impulsive I pulled the trigger with my guy lines. Since its 230am I will have to wait until tomorrow to test it out, but playing with it in the house it seems okay. I guess we'll see. If its a problem I'll just get some shock cord. I need to get some for my tarp lines anyways.
    Grant

• + New Posts