Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images

Big-headessey

Taking my lead from Headchange4us' work on his Hennesey based hammock and the research done by Wilsonbmw (thanks so much for taking the plunge and taking your HH apart) I've had a go at making my own hammock.

It's just the base so far, I have not got around to working on any covers yet but it's a working hammock as of today

Basic description
    Taking the fabric dimensions for an Explorer Deluxe Asym I roll hemmed (or watched my Mam roll hem) some DWR ripstop. (132"x60" ish)
    Expanding on headchange4us' 8" tube ends I bumped them up to 12" to deal with the extra length (guesswork on whether this is necessary or not).

'loop thingies' were made from short lengths of 5mm spectra. I didnt double them up as I think the knot will be big enough to prevent pull through. In hindsight I would like them longer to allow for a longer whipping area and room for the larks head attachment. I was taking some 'spare' from my mainline for my Byer and I did not want to use too much.

I folded and rolled both the W'BMW and the HC4U way and in the end settled for 4 under folds and a final fold together the same way. (give me two shovels and ask me to take my pick...).
    After a few hangs I might try a different way but this seems fine for now.

I whipped a la Just Jeffs instructions, worked a treat, even with the fairly light and slippy material.

Slung some 4 mm spectra between two camping 'biners as a ridge line. I think if I use longer 'loop thingies' I might larks head the ridge line to cut down on weight, although having 'biners in the hammock is handy for hanging gear from.
    The suggested length of the HH explore ridge line is 108" but I'm going by feel.

I picked up two 3.5m lengths of 25mm polypro webbing, tied loops in the end, larksheaded them behind the webbing and 4 wrapped/k knotted the whole thing between two trees

(Please excuse the ropey cameraphone shot).

I haven't attached tie outs yet because I am awaiting my BCUK underquilt and was unsure where they go.
    It felt great, really roomy and flat, I had a great and tried out a few different lying styles.

Packing away in the dark (nice and easy with the starps and skins) I heard a noise and turned on my head torch, 20 foot away was a man, he came over and asked me if I was camping?
    I told him 'I was just trying this hammock out',
    I also told him that he'd 'scared seven shades out of me! since I thought this place was deserted'
    He said he was 'surprised you didn't seen more people about as this place was very popular' as he walked away despondant he said 'it's where men go to meet men'.
    What was that line about being surprised at the interesting places you can put a hammock up?

All in all I'm really pleased about how this turned out. I'm planning on some ring supports next, followed by tieouts, then possibly some netting/covers in time.
    Thanks to all those who have gone there first and made the information readily available

Drop

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Nice job! Are you going to add covers later?

And wow... That's one "interesting hammock situation" I've never been in for sure! And would prefer to avoid! Suddenly 'bear burrito' sounds much more appealing than it did....
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    Packing away in the dark (nice and easy with the starps and skins) I heard a noise and turned on my head torch, 20 foot away was a man, he came over and asked me if I was camping?
    I told him 'I was just trying this hammock out',
    I also told him that he'd 'scared seven shades out of me! since I thought this place was deserted'
    He said he was 'surprised you didn't seen more people about as this place was very popular' as he walked away despondant he said 'it's where men go to meet men'.
    What was that line about being surprised at the interesting places you can put a hammock up? .....
    Now that is funny. I thought that was just a thing around here. There are a few parks I will not go into even close to dark.

There is one I used to go to when I worked for a canoe rental to drop people off that they would broadcast what they wanted by the way they parked.

Back to hammocks though. Cool project. Mine is in the planning stages. Finishing up school is getting in the way right now. Probibly going to happen within the next week.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Pretty interesting situation, it was more the surprise of somebody else being around that shook me up than anything else.

Hopefully covers in a while. I have about 15m of very thin, soft untreated ripstop it's too narrow and flimsy to make a hammock from but only cost 20p/40c?/m. I'm a bit unsure how enclosing a Hammock would work given the damp nature of UK camping. I was feeling it a bit tonight but this isn't really the time of year I'd be out. I'ts a month till my first festival this year hopefully it will be warmer. I still need to sort out a decent tarp, not just the old light groundsheet I have been gifted.

At the moment I have the Byer I can utilise if I need bugnetting. though that would be the fist job (well tieouts maybe first).
    Last edited by Drop; 03-13-2007 at 00:12.

Images
    Cool project. Although I think that I would find a new place to hang. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Looks great drop. Thumbs up.

Did you ask the guy, "How long you been standing there?"

That "it's where men go to meet men'" is a little spooky also. I have to agree with BD about finding a new spot to hang.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    'it's where men go to meet men'.
    Uh, was he trying to tell you something?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    Uh, was he trying to tell you something?
    I think the guy was disappointed he was just there hanging
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Yeah, that particular spot has lost it's shine somewhat .

Pity as it's the nearest bit of woodland to me, I chose it as I thought it would be less hassle than using a local park and dealing with teens and the like.

Anyhow it proves I'm still in demand

I Wish I had room for a stand at home.
    On the upside I think I might have come up with a new non-ring adjustable way of using webbing that might be of use, I'll play about with it next time I get to hang I'll see how that goes.

• + New Posts