Hammock
    ENO DN or GTUL
    Tarp
    Tad Pole or Kelty
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    So they are allowed? I am going there tonight, in the tropical storm..... Do I need to ask permission or go ahead and hang it up? Treehuggers of course.

Edit: I am going to the campground....didn't even know about the backcountry area....I'll do that next time. http://www.nps.gov/prwi/planyourvisi...trycamping.htm

The same rules apply to the campground. 1.5 inch straps and not on trees less than 6 inch in diameter.
    Last edited by almaxey; 06-07-2013 at 09:04. Reason: Amplifying info

I have seen hammocks at the scout area behind TREC and at the established campsites. can't imagine there would be a problem as long as you are at a designated spot and not just wandering in the backcountry orienteering course.

Michigan Man lost in Northern Virginia...
    Hammock
    DIY "Bed Zeppelin", BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole & Dutch
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I hope ya stayed dry during the mini hurricane this last weekend. Oddly enough, I am hanging in this park this up coming weekend.

Hammock
    ENO DN or GTUL
    Tarp
    Tad Pole or Kelty
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The rain stopped around 8:00 but it was soggy out. Still better than sleeping in the house! I didn't have any issues with hanging there, but they have a 1.5 inch tree strap rule - I had to use big heavy tie-down straps but they worked beautifully. Not sure if anyone would have come and measured my straps but I didn't want to take any chances.

Nice park, I lived around here for 15 years and never went - never realized it was so huge either.

Have fun!

Many don't realize this, but it was the original CIA "farm" when the CIA was OSS. In part, because landnav is challenging there due to the terrain features being all so similar...which is why the orienteering course there is so much fun!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Re: Prince William Forest Park

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty9 View Post
    Many don't realize this, but it was the original CIA "farm" when the CIA was OSS. In part, because landnav is challenging there due to the terrain features being all so similar...which is why the orienteering course there is so much fun!!
    Very true. I worked at prince William forest park, for the resource management at trec, and that was past of my crash course. One of the cabin campus was also for children who were extremely ill.

There are alot of cool things hidden around that park. Pyrite mine....and stuff visitors don't get to see....old homesteads and graveyards and areas where they believe Neolithic folk were building tools out of quartz.

I was allowed to hammock camp.

I enjoyed chopawamsick as it is of the beaten path and hardly anyone goes there. There were a bunch of bear tracks everytime so heads up on that.

Btw, I read the environmental impact report on new paths and parking lot for chopawomsick, plans are coming together.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12