Hammock
    BBWB
    Tarp
    reflective cuben
    Insulation
    wb bag and sc uq
    Suspension
    testing w slings
    Wow good photo, looks like a nice setup.

angrysparrow are you able to do a taught full porch (one pole on each corner) with the MC Ultra in lighter weather?

Also I wonder though why Brian made the sides shorter on the Ultra.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by piotr01 View Post
    angrysparrow are you able to do a taught full porch (one pole on each corner) with the MC Ultra in lighter weather?
    Yes, poles on the corners only works fine if you pull those guys nicely taught. The center guyout point itself dangles, but harmlessly so.

I assume for weight savings. I don't find the reduced side length to be problematic.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    not being a avid hanger yet. Let me explain my thinking when I picked one out. My thoughts were 3 season yes but with that in mind when I'm out and the occasional storm brews up I have the option to close off the ends of the tarp or at least one end if that's all that's needed. With that said I also thought what if I get some fortitude and be so inclined to give a winter hike a go. Listening to some of these guys and gals stories about winter hikes sound like they could be fun. Either way I planned for the possibility of foul weather. But that's just my opinion. Good luck with the choice but I think you'll be fine you already bought the right hammock.

TY

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Just a correction, the MacCat Deluxe and Ultra both have the same width - 52" per side for a total of 104". That was a typo on my website (now fixed). The extra length on the Ultra is the key benefit of that tarp over the Deluxe, especially for the longer hammocks now on the market.
    Last edited by Brian; 03-08-2009 at 14:54. Reason: (Now fixed on my site)
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Just a correction, the MacCat Deluxe and Ultra both have the same width - 52" per side for a total of 104". That was a typo on my website (now fixed). The extra length on the Ultra is the key benefit of that tarp over the Deluxe, especially for the longer hammocks now on the market.
    If that is the case then the Ultra's length would be of little benefit for someone in a standard length hammock, as the Macat Deluxe is generously sized for a standard Hennessy.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    If that is the case then the Ultra's length would be of little benefit for someone in a standard length hammock, as the Macat Deluxe is generously sized for a standard Hennessy.
    Exactly. I originally designed the MacCat Ultra arond the new 10' ridgeline hammocks. For the HH ULBP and Explorer, the Deluxe works fantastically. Some people also want even more room under the hammock for rainy weather groups, and order the Ultra for that reason.

The HH Explorer Deluxe works fine with the Deluxe, although it's length can still benefit from the extended reach of the MacCat Ultra.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    BBWB
    Tarp
    reflective cuben
    Insulation
    wb bag and sc uq
    Suspension
    testing w slings

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I'm not sure if thats true because from what i've been reading i think the ultra is more effective with its extra length and tie out to "close the door", than on the deluxe.

Regarding the width i'm suprised no one caught that earlier...
    Especially in the thread below
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=piotr01

I was having a hard time deciding between ultra and deluxe b/c i though the widths were different but now i'm pretty confident the ultra will work best for me.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I'm not sure if thats true because from what i've been reading i think the ultra is more effective with its extra length and tie out to "close the door", than on the deluxe..
    I use the Deluxe version. From the photos the Ultra looks to be the same shape as the Deluxe. Just longer at the ridgeline. Based on the shape of the tarp pulling in the corners may not result in an effective combination of space and protection from rain driving in from around the tree ends. Hopefully some Ultra users can provide some feedback regarding closing the ends of in door like fashion.

For heavy windy rain using the Deluxe I just hang everything lower and stake down the tarp to the ground. Also try to select the safest fattest trees with minimal distance between them. Orientation of your set up really makes a difference, but winds seem to always shift up here when a storm blows through.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    The ultra has 2 cat cuts on the sides with 3 tieouts a side....slightly different than the deluxe and offers more pitching options.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I have a 10x12 in black - for summer I am considering (because I must continue to justify MORE GEAR ) a MacCat for my Blackbird, because they are a) not black and dark inside and b) not big enough to put around my car.

I am going back and forth between the standard and the deluxe. Would the few inches difference really give me that much more coverage if it rained?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast