Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maiden hammock voyage

Well I finally had my first night hanging late last month and have done several since. I'm still not sure if it's the way I'm going on my AT thru starting next month. I camped out in Cades Cove campground in SMNP last month when it was 25 degrees in my Blackbird with my JRB No Sniveller UQ and Speer winter tarp and actually wasn't to cold at all, I was impressed by that. My problem is I seem to wake up quite a bit during the night to switch positions. In the 4 nights I've slept in it I've woken up at least 4 to 5 times every night. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue when they first started hanging. My hammock also sags quite a bit by the morning so that may not be helping. Not the hammocks fault I weigh 275lbs. While the Blackbird seems to be top notch quality, I can't really use it for a chair. The ridgeline is right in my face when I try this. Am I doing something wrong or should I maybe look into a Speer or something like that without the ridgeline? Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks for all the help you all have given me so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like you have it set up OK. Did you retighten the straps after they stretched?

No, should I be? Normally I just notice by morning when it's time to get up anyway.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    I had a very similar beginning as you. After about a month I was used to sleeping in the hammock and usually wake in the same position as I fell asleep. First time that happened to me I felt like I slept for an hour or so but it was a full night. "Hang" in there and I bet it will get better.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Often my ridgeline is in my way somewhat when I hang in my DIY hammock or my BB. You can adjust your hang a bit but I usually just deal with it as I am kinda restless and never sit for more than 10 minutes or so until I am up dinking around.....
    Are you a restless sleeper at home? I am at home but tend to be very still when I sleep in my hammock.
    Were you comfortable hanging? Sure hope so....
    Endeavor to persevere!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    I think the directions are that there can be a bit of slack in the RL when you sit in it, but it should tighten up ( the RL) when you lay down. But enough slack so that there is RL in your face when you sit in it---- are you possibly hanging it TOO loose to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Suave View Post
    No, should I be? Normally I just notice by morning when it's time to get up anyway.
    Normally, they will stretch right when you get in the hammock after you set it up. Next time after you get in, lay there a bit and then get back out and see if you have dropped any, Then retighten and see if it is more comfortable.

Images
    Another thing about chair use: pay attention to how much material is under your legs and butt when you sit down. As per the directions from WBG to avoid putting weight on the shelf. I kind of smooth the material out as I am sitting down so that a bunch of material is not bunched up under my legs ( this is hard to put into words). If I don't, things get a little screwy during chair use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Normally, they will stretch right when you get in the hammock after you set it up. Next time after you get in, lay there a bit and then get back out and see if you have dropped any, Then retighten and see if it is more comfortable.

I will definitely try that next time. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Often my ridgeline is in my way somewhat when I hang in my DIY hammock or my BB. You can adjust your hang a bit but I usually just deal with it as I am kinda restless and never sit for more than 10 minutes or so until I am up dinking around.....
    Are you a restless sleeper at home? I am at home but tend to be very still when I sleep in my hammock.
    Were you comfortable hanging? Sure hope so....
    Endeavor to persevere!
    Shug

Sometimes I can be a restless sleeper at home, not quite like I was in the hammock though and yes, it was fairly comfortable. Love your videos Shug. Your Blackbird one was the thing that finally made me go for the BB.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast