DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images

Good places to hang around Amicalola Falls, GA?

So my wife surprised me with a little gift certificate to this joint called the Hike Inn. I have another couple days to kill,so I would definitely like to get some hanging in. I am looking for a good spot fairly close to there, preferably within hiking distance, but we could possibly hike to the campsite and back out the next day, then drive to the Hike Inn Parking Area.

I am just getting my wife back into backpacking, and this will be her first overnight in the hammock besides out in the yard... so maybe like a 5-10 mile hike...or I might need to take her to a car-campground first.

I have been all around that area as a kid, but mostly car camping with my parents back in the day. I have also been on the AT from Springer to Neels and I don't really want to take her there on the first trip out.

Any ideas?
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Um unless I've been mistaken all this time, there is no Hike Inn parking area. It's called the Hike Inn because you have to do just that. The Inn is off of the AT approach trail from Amicalola falls to Springer. Basically you'll park at Amicalola and hike about 5 miles to the inn. Or I guess you could park at Springer and come in from that way as well. The approach trail is 9 miles. So you could hike to the inn from Amicalola then hike the rest of the way to Springer and camp there. Springer is also the start of the BMT so instead of hiking around the AT you could do some sections of the BMT.

Do you plan on going soon? Because in the fall when the leaves are in full color the approach trail is beyond beautiful. It's like something out of a movie. It reminded of The House of Flying Daggers. Epic.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    YOU MEAN I CAN'T DRIVE TO THE HIKE INN!!!??? Ha! Yeah, I know, LOL. When I say "parking area" I mean the park visitor center. I have not lost THAT many brain cells yet!!! I plan on taking her all the way up the approach trail anyway, but I was more looking for a "spot" to camp that was hammock friendly. We are going next month, and I totally agree about the approach trail being quite magical in the Fall. I have not been on the BMT in this area, besides like a mile or 2 off the road. I am online now, looking for a good spot...I just want a good spot for a good first impression for my wife. She is having some reservations.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    YOU MEAN I CAN'T DRIVE TO THE HIKE INN!!!??? Ha! Yeah, I know, LOL. When I say "parking area" I mean the park visitor center. I have not lost THAT many brain cells yet!!! I plan on taking her all the way up the approach trail anyway, but I was more looking for a "spot" to camp that was hammock friendly. We are going next month, and I totally agree about the approach trail being quite magical in the Fall. I have not been on the BMT in this area, besides like a mile or 2 off the road. I am online now, looking for a good spot...I just want a good spot for a good first impression for my wife. She is having some reservations.
    Also, I kind of wanted to avoid Springer, because it has always been super crowded that close to the road, unless things have changed in the last couple years.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Anybody have any ideas? I am going next weekend.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    There are plenty of trees along the trail you can hang from along the approach trail.. But you will have to carry in your own water unless you camp near the shelters.

First photo is about 3 miles in on approach trail and the second is next to Springer Mt Shelter.

Finding trees is not a problem.

I will be hiking north from Springer Mt starting this Sat. I have until Thursday to hike as far as I can make it ( or feel like it ).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I took a hike with a co-worker a few years ago---we parked at springer, hiked north on the AT and then by long falls took another trail (BMT?) and hiked to a big clearing where the army rangers train. It was pretty and there wern't any people there! The funny thing was, the trail cuts across the clearing, but we took a side trail around the edge of the clearing and found someones "garden"--I'm no expert on herbs, but those wernt tomatoes growing in the garden! We just went around it and kept on hiking!
    Last edited by stevebo; 05-06-2013 at 06:09.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts