Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
Here's my advice...
Trail selection is key... Low mileage... If you are going slow, they'll have time to see things... Butterflies, frogs, whatever...

If you are a person with a bunch of rules or set expectations, relax them ... Just focus on the kids having fun. Didn't cover 5 miles? Who cares. Let the success of the trip be their joy.

Food selection... Silly as it sounds its things like what they ate that they remember. Marshmallows, chocolate... Hot chocolate with marshmallows.

Stop when you come to fallen logs, so they can act like its a balance beam. Crossing creeks? Who doesn't love to go from rock to rock! Feet get wet? No worries. Crossing creeks is much easier once you already have wet feet.

Get them each a disposable camera and watch them take terrible pictures that they think are the greatest. They'll probably shoot half the shots in an hour...no sweat... It served a purpose of having them see things.

Finally, on a serious note, be safe. The above is the side I present to them, but I'm always prepared for bad weather, rain, cold, mosquitos, etc.
+89 This is really great advice tallPaul