Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    maccat deluxe

Tips or tricks for my new puppy on the trail?

Ok yall, I have a new addition to my family, a German Shepherd/Collie Mix named Maverick. He is about 4 months old. We are working on socialization and training etc.
    So, I figured now would also be a good time to introduce him to camping. We started with the tent on Sunday night, which was ok, but all the noises had him spending most of the night trying to escape to find out what was outside! Not much sleep for me

My goal of course is to hammock with him UNDER the hammock, not in it with me. (I let him on the couch once while I was napping and he curled up on my head!)
    Any suggestions?

Congrats! Where in Texas are you? If in Houston - take him to the dog parks often - PETS Mart

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    maccat deluxe
    I'm closer to Austin, so we've been going to Zilker Park. Lots of dogs and people and bicycles!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    The basics are the best place to start. A good solid sit and stay command can cover alot of problems on the trail. Also a heel command keeps the dog and you safe. I always teach my dogs to heel to the right to keep myself between them and another person or dog on the trail. Breaking their prey drive while they're young is also helpful. I like to have someone throw a ball to each other or chase each other while keeping the dog in a heel or stay command. This helps for when they see that squirrel go running across the trail and helps to reinforce the No command so that they won't give chase.

Also my dogs have never had table scraps. They have been fed kibble since they were weened. My beagle does not counter surf nor does she beg for food. She knows what is hers and what is mine. Same with my Great Dane before she died last summer.

I still use a stretch leash when I go to camp since I use a hammock I just secure one end to the head end tree and make sure the collar is on snug. My beagle does not hike as I could never break her from chasing or bawling at the smell of a rabbit..

As far as gear for a dog goes, I like to have a pack for the dog. The Palisade is good pack for larger breeds. My dogs only carry they're thermarest pad, boots, cloth collapsable food and water bowls, frisbee, and a fleece blanket. Total load is around 5 pounds with pack. My lab weighs close to 75 pounds so it doesn't even phase him. I carry food water and first aid.
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    maccat deluxe
    Breaking their prey drive while they're young is also helpful. I like to have someone throw a ball to each other or chase each other while keeping the dog in a heel or stay command. This helps for when they see that squirrel go running across the trail and helps to reinforce the No command so that they won't give chase.

This is a great idea, I'll be sure to incorporate. We've got the basics of heel, sit, stay(most of the time)

I'm also keeping him on the kibble only plan. I made the table scrap mistake with my yorkshire terrier. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the input on the dog pack as well. I noticed the added weight in my pack for the food, collapsable bowl, tennis ball etc. It would be nice for him to carry his own toys!

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    We have a 5 month old Entlebucher Mountain Dog we are training to be a trail dog. Right now we have him in obedience phase II training which is all off leash and getting him to respond to commands while he is distracted.

We picked up a Ruff Wear pack on Steep and Cheep for $20 (usually $60) a size smaller than he will need when full grown so we could get him used to it while he is young. We have been walking him with the pack on with nothing in it. Putting the pack on totally changes his demeanor, he puffs his chest out and walks with a purpose. They say working dogs need a job and carrying a pack has become his.

I plan on hanging with him in the woods behind the house a few times and then take him to the MAHHA spring hang as his first trip

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    We have a 5 month old Entlebucher Mountain Dog we are training to be a trail dog. Right now we have him in obedience phase II training which is all off leash and getting him to respond to commands while he is distracted.

We picked up a Ruff Wear pack on Steep and Cheep for $20 (usually $60) a size smaller than he will need when full grown so we could get him used to it while he is young. We have been walking him with the pack on with nothing in it. Putting the pack on totally changes his demeanor, he puffs his chest out and walks with a purpose. They say working dogs need a job and carrying a pack has become his.

I plan on hanging with him in the woods behind the house a few times and then take him to the MAHHA spring hang as his first trip
    Don,

Meet us in the parking lot.... He can help carry some gear....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    No problem and congrats on the puppy. Make sure to post some pictures.
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Don,

Meet us in the parking lot.... He can help carry some gear....

Pan
    In Switzerland these dogs are known as "The Poor Mans Horse", full grown they have been known to pull 750lb carts. That could get alot of JRB gear up to camp for display!
    Last edited by DGrav; 02-18-2009 at 20:49.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    In Switzerland these dogs are known as "The Poor Mans Hours", Ffull grown they have been known to pull 750lb carts. That could get alot of JRB gear up to camp for display!
    461 Rocky Mountains Snivelers. That's gonna be one big cart!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast