Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    Superfly

3 season vs 4 season ??

I am looking for my first underquilt. My camping ranges from a few occasional 20 degree nights to 75-80+ degree nights.

Is it possible to buy too much underquilt? I am torn between the 3 season vs 4 season models. I don't need the 4 season very often but would be nice when I do...on the flip side I don't want to burn up on the 60 degree nights.

Besides price and weight which I already understand...what are the pros and cons of each?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Price and weight are probably the two biggest things. You can get a bit hot with too much UQ, but it's easier to vent than to add warmth if you don't have enough.

If you hit down to around 20* a few times a year, I'd recommend a 3-season quilt, with an ounce of overstuff at the most. I've found I can go to 15 or 20 with a 20* quilt and wearing a fleece/long underwear to bed and using a hot water bottle. I'm an average warmth sleeper - but I HATE being cold.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Like Breyman said, you can vent a UQ pretty easy. In my experience, having a 20* UQ is pretty versatile into warmer temps. In warm weather I change out my TQ and keep the 20* UQ because that's what I have. Another thing you can do is stack UQs for added warmth. For example you could go with a 20* and add a 40*UQ for the really cold trips. You can also sleep in warm clothes with a 20* to add warmth.

If you backpack this is more of a concern, but if you mainly car camp get the most UQ you can afford for the convenience.

Keep in mind that every person has their own comfort rating. My 20* UQ is "comfortable" to about 25-28*.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Good points so far. IMO it's easier to add to a three season with a pad or another quilt for the few times you may need it vs carrying the extra weight and bulk and possible being too hot to sleep comfortably. Yes you can vent a 4 season but in my experience I have not been able to vent without frequent readjustments or inconsistent warmth. If the majority of your time is in the warmer months, I'd go with the 3 season.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I've got both and gave the 4-season to my wife... All I use is the 3 season and add clothes as needed if its below 20... never been cold down to 10F ...

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Good points so far. IMO it's easier to add to a three season with a pad or another quilt for the few times you may need it vs carrying the extra weight and bulk and possible being too hot to sleep comfortably. Yes you can vent a 4 season but in my experience I have not been able to vent without frequent readjustments or inconsistent warmth. If the majority of your time is in the warmer months, I'd go with the 3 season.
    I haven't tried it yet, but I picked up some duct insulation (bubble wrap-ish material sandwiched between mylar) to add as extra insulation. From the look of it will need to be rolled and folding may inflict damage. But at 25" wide and the fact I moto-camp I can lash it on the bike somewhere or use it tube like to pack other items in and still fit it in my cases.

In theory this should work like a pad, not sure how well yet, but take up less room than a traditional pad.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Get the 20 as unless you're buying ENO, the other UQ mfrs can be relied upon for the quality of their product with regard to temp ratings. I've got a JRB torso pad that I take instead of the UQ for warm trips, but I'll always take the UQ with lows below 60. I've never been too hot, but its possible. Also, I've not had much luck supplementing the UQ with a pad, whether its the torso pad or the BA insulated pad I used to use. I'm always warmer on the UQ by itself, even around freezing in my 40 degree UQ.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    Superfly

3 season vs 4 season ??

Thanks for the input. Think I will stick with the 3 season.

• + New Posts