ENO DN
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

First Underquilt

In June I will reach a 20 year milestone with my current employer and part of my length of service award is a nice cash gift. I plan to use some of it to purchase my first underquilt.

I have an ENO Doublenest and after reading this forum and looking around online I think the AHE New River underquilt in long would be the best for my budget (under $200).

What is important to me is 1) price and 2) ease of setup. It rarely dips below 30 here in the Pacific NW but I would like to stay warm and I am tired of dealing with pads.

That's the direction I am headed. Am I on the right track or are there other UQ I should be considering?

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    hmmm.. I'm not sure why this has not gotten any response. My apologizes for a late reply and I hope this offers some insight.

my2cents... The New River is a fantastic synthetic option for an UQ- I freaking love mine. Note that it is synthetic and it does not pack down like a down UQ. If you are worried about keeping down dry and want a synthetic I don't think you will find a better deal for the money. I usually pack mine loose, filling in the gaps of my pack.

However...Paul has recently opened up the flamethrower series which are his down quilts and most of them are under $200. If I was going to go with a new underquilt, (and I'm seriously eying one of these bad boys) I'd definitely go with one for the flamethrowers.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/f...ower-gear.html
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

I've got the eno single and have had the New River for a couple months now. It's kept me toasty warm down to 20 and it's well constructed and a great value. I admit, it does not pack down as small as I like, but I still have no problem packing for a couple days with my REI flash62. And that includes a down bag for a TQ. Once I get a proper topquilt, I know I'll save some weight and space too. Taking it on a 5 day trip in June, so we'll see how it goes.

Whenever I buy something, I always keep looking out for that next purchase. When funds allow, I'll go with down for it's packablility. The key is just getting out there and enjoying it!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the responses. This forum is great for getting good input and thoughtful advice. I'll check out those flamethrowers as well.

Are synthetics generally easier to care for than down?

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: First Underquilt

From what I know, not really. When you are in the woods maybe because its not quite as big a deal if they get a little wet, but down will outlast synthetics if it's cared for properly, i think care instructions are the same, just make sure you wash down with down specific cleaners or plain old water.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    downs is a little tricky because you have to wash it with special stuff. Also it is very less forgiving when wet.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I can certainly understand being cost concious but if you are wanting to get one UQ and be done and are concerned with moisture being in the PNW then I'd suggest looking at the Zepplin from UnderGroundQuilts.

Having seen Paul's goods I can attest to them being top notch, and he can even stuff your quilt with Resist Down that is extremely water resistant. And when properly cared for Down products don't require washing very often.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I can certainly understand being cost concious but if you are wanting to get one UQ and be done and are concerned with moisture being in the PNW then I'd suggest looking at the Zepplin from UnderGroundQuilts.

Having seen Paul's goods I can attest to them being top notch, and he can even stuff your quilt with Resist Down that is extremely water resistant. And when properly cared for Down products don't require washing very often.
    This was going to be my suggestion. Once I buy an uq, it will be a resist down ugq, simply for this reason. I wouldn't have it any other way. Period.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Just about the time I think I have my mind made up new options come up. Oh well, it gives me something to do until June.

Those Zeppeling UQs look great. I have never owned down anything so I'll need to look into that.

One question, most of my hammock camping is done while backpacking here in the Pacific NW. I dont envision temps often dropping below 40. I have an ENO Doublenest, would you reccomend a full or 3/4 UQ?

Initially I thought a full would be best because I liked the idea of being totally encapsulated and I really don't want to deal with foot pads.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    you will be very happy with an ahe new river, love mine! slept in it down to 7f, yes I got cold but its rated in the 30-35f so that should tell ya something, and its cheaper than down.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast