Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

HH Hex Winter Tarp

I had a stock HH asym tarp that I was neverr going to use. I am slated to get a second HH Hex tarp. I have been wanting a winter tarp as I am becoming more interested in cold weather camping. The price was too steep for me to justify at this point.

I got the idea to use the HH stock asym fabric and cut it up for the doors on the Hex. I'll walk you through the process althoug I did not take a vid of this mod. The HH asym comes with a ring and mitten clip at the ridgeline tabs. Also at the asym pu;;out tabs so make sure you have the right one. Hook the mitten hook on to the suspension line for the Hex tarp as it is hanging. The short side of the asyn tarp is the same length as the side for the Hex tarp... Thanks Tom... that made it easier.

Pin the short side of the asym tarp to the side of the Hex tarp. Then pin the long side of the sym tarp to the edge of the Hex tarp. Mark the hex corner on the asym long side to have a measurement guide. Removing the asym tarp, end for end it and do the same thing on the other end of the hex.

Note: The stock asym tarp is a parallelogram, it is not a true rectangle. Pay absolutely no attention to the ripstop pattern. The whole project ends up off grain. Cut the asym tarp from one tieout corner to the opposite marking guide. Cut the other triangle from the other corner to it's opposite marking guide. That will leave you a parallelogram of extra fabric about 18" long by the width of the asym tarp. That is extra unused fabric. Toss it or save it... Up to you.

You have two triangles which will hang from the ridgeline of the hex tarp. The edge binding on the now cut up asym triangles matches the edge binding of the hex.

At this point you have a variety of choices for finishing the doors. They could remain on big door. I decided to cut from the middle of the base line almost to te apex of the top corner. .. making to doors attached at the top.

I applie edge binding, inside corner tie outs on the doors and ran a 30' strip of velcro up the opening to serve as a closing mechanism.

It has not been set up outside yet... But I hope to do that tomorrow and get some pics of the finished project.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Great idea !! i also have the hex and the stock tarp
    Maybe i will give this a try

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Decending Rings

Cant wait to try this

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I had a stock HH asym tarp that I was neverr going to use. I am slated to get a second HH Hex tarp. I have been wanting a winter tarp as I am becoming more interested in cold weather camping. The price was too steep for me to justify at this point.

I got the idea to use the HH stock asym fabric and cut it up for the doors on the Hex. I'll walk you through the process althoug I did not take a vid of this mod. The HH asym comes with a ring and mitten clip at the ridgeline tabs. Also at the asym pu;;out tabs so make sure you have the right one. Hook the mitten hook on to the suspension line for the Hex tarp as it is hanging. The short side of the asyn tarp is the same length as the side for the Hex tarp... Thanks Tom... that made it easier.

Pin the short side of the asym tarp to the side of the Hex tarp. Then pin the long side of the sym tarp to the edge of the Hex tarp. Mark the hex corner on the asym long side to have a measurement guide. Removing the asym tarp, end for end it and do the same thing on the other end of the hex.

Note: The stock asym tarp is a parallelogram, it is not a true rectangle. Pay absolutely no attention to the ripstop pattern. The whole project ends up off grain. Cut the asym tarp from one tieout corner to the opposite marking guide. Cut the other triangle from the other corner to it's opposite marking guide. That will leave you a parallelogram of extra fabric about 18" long by the width of the asym tarp. That is extra unused fabric. Toss it or save it... Up to you.

You have two triangles which will hang from the ridgeline of the hex tarp. The edge binding on the now cut up asym triangles matches the edge binding of the hex.

At this point you have a variety of choices for finishing the doors. They could remain on big door. I decided to cut from the middle of the base line almost to te apex of the top corner. .. making to doors attached at the top.

I applie edge binding, inside corner tie outs on the doors and ran a 30' strip of velcro up the opening to serve as a closing mechanism.

It has not been set up outside yet... But I hope to do that tomorrow and get some pics of the finished project.
    Im travelling on business for the next two weeks and my hex tarp turned up just before I left so I cant wait to get home and try this. I wonder how the scout stock tarps would fit as I have two of them thanks to the HH christmas offer one sent with the HHEDLUX and one with the SS.

Pictures please?
    Bazza

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Windy as all get out. I wasn't going to hang it cause I didn't want to muck around in the wind and then thought.... "Doh.. what did I build it for then."

Not the best shot of the ridgeline peak... but you can see the ring that came on the stock asym. the angle fits nice. I don't know how many different sizes/styles of asym tarps HH have but I would think they are all pretty much the same. I have no idea about the scout.

I made the doors so they could be tied open when they are not needed.

Of course the doors close off as well.

I think it will serve it's intended purpose. All in all I am pleased with the way it came out. Sure does cut down on the wind inside

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Very nice. Thanks for the pics rev. Very cost effective way of making a good winter tarp ehh ; )

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Very nice. Thanks for the pics rev. Very cost effective way of making a good winter tarp ehh ; )
    Cost effective in that I already had/have the tarps. The new Hex I am supposed to get will remain unsullied by add ons I think. At least for now.

Thanks for the kind words.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts