Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DN as of right now.
    Tarp
    Silnylon Equinox
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag

Hammock Camping while Hunting

I bow hunt every year. Since this is the first year I've hammock camped, I'm thinking of taking my hammock out with me this year on my hunting trip and sleeping right in the woods instead of my cabin which is a bit of a drive from my hunting spot. I figure what better advantage to have over other hunters than to be in the woods.

I plan on setting up my camp quite a distance from my hunting spot so not to disrupt anything. The only problem I forsee is not only having all my camping gear, but then incorporating my hunting gear (bow, tree stand, clothing etc.) Have any of you guys ever done this? Is it a good idea, bad idea? I would'nt try this during gun season, I think there are too many "Beer hunters" out there. For those that have done this during bow season, any advice? Do you think it works for you?
    "If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I have packed in on extended hunting trips before getting into hammocking. My pack was quite heavy due to the tent, sleeping pads, and heavy sleeping bag. If you go with a hammock, UQ, TQ and light weight tarp you will be fine. My sleeping bag I used alone weighed more than my entire hammock set up now ( hammock, tarp, TQ and UQ)
    I would always pack into the woods while everyone else stayed in their campers, They thought I was crazy One thing I always did was build a fire and hold everything you bring out in the smoke of the fire, that will help mask the scent, smoke is not a foreign smell to animals.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    For those that have done this during bow season, any advice? Do you think it works for you?
    I've done it. The hard part for me was figuring out how to pack my stand (Summit Cobra). My Mystery Ranch Crew Cab pack is pretty versatile, but I couldn't really find a good way to include my tree stand in a practical way. My solution was (is) to pack it in ahead of time and either cache it (wrapped in a garbage bag and covered up/camouflaged, or lock it to a tree in the area where I'll be hunting.

As long as I have to make two trips, I also cache other items so I have a lighter load when I head in for the hunt.

Bow hunting and backpacking are made to go together!

Good hunting,
    desmobob

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    The hammock works for here (MT). I don't use a stand, but shoot out of a ground blind situated on a hill side. Not suitable for tenting anyway. The blind is made from sticks/branches and covers some good trails. Hammock and sock/bug net are camo too.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / JRB UQ
    Images
    I used my hammock on a moose hunt last October and it worked great. It was pretty warm, temps just below freezing at night.
    It was a backpacking/nomadic style hunt so we could move as necessary; I had all my camping gear and hunting gear with me as well as 4 days of food, pack weight was 41lb. I definitely had too much gear and weight (synthetic insulation since I am on the wet coast). I know I can definitely go a lot lighter for this years hunt.
    Definitely the way to go for me!
    Cheers

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I think turkey hunting would be a great way to get the knack of it. Less gear and the possibility of setting up a blind around your hammock so you can sit in the hammock while you wait.

Deer hunting too but carrying in a stand is a pain anyway even without your camping gear. I was talking to a forestry ranger today at breakfast, he told me that all his gear; body armor and his gun belt weighs 26lbs. I told him that's more than my whole pack for a weekend with food and water. He was shocked.

I guess my point is that if you can carry a tree stand and a bow then an overnight kit probably isn't going to be a deal breaker.

David

Hammock
    ENO DN as of right now.
    Tarp
    Silnylon Equinox
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag
    Thanks for all the input guys. Some good advice for sure. I just got a new tree stand so I'm going to take it out with me a few times this spring and get a feel for it with my usual gear. With success of combining my two favorite hobbies, I may just never come home
    -woody
    "If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 and XLC
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    DD UQ, Incubator 0
    Suspension
    wb webbing
    I bow hunt with recurve bow in Wyoming, and I have been using my hammock for camping the 3 years. So much nicer when looking for a "camp" location. never having to worry about rocks or logs. It is also nice having a light weight set up. I also went spring turkey hunting with it last year and what a blast. I set up in an area near the roosting grounds. Something spooked the birds and they flew into a tree my hammock was tied too! Lets just say I didnt have to set up any decoys that morning. The turkeys jumped down out the the tree and I sat in my hammock waiting for the big tom to hope down. Sure enough he followed the hens. I took him about 5 feet from the guy line to my tarp!

Interesting thread. As this being the main reason I got into hammocking. Tired of carrying heavy loads of gear from the car to campsite, and even more tired of walking 3-4 miles one way everyday in the dark. So I started looking at alternatives. I have a base pack of tarp, hammock, quilts at a touch over 13 pounds, most of which is my quilts. I could get it to 10 if I sprang for down quilts. My pack is heavy at 6.75 pounds but, I intend to bring meat and camp when I come. So the pack is made to do that.

Looking at 3 day ventures in the hammock in the wilderness. I have been testing my gear working through it this spring and I see no problems staying warm into the upper teens with this setup. And I see no reason a loaded pack for three days can't be accomplished at 25 pounds minus a stand. I'm fortunate in the fact that clean water doesn't have to be packed in and filters are not needed. A uv pen and 2 (1) liter water bottles is all that is needed. I will in time spring the $ for quality down sleeping gear.

I'm new to this and would love to know what you guys that have done it for a while think about sleeping attire. In other words, what dependency to stay warm do you put into worn clothes for sleeping. I assume you wear some of the same clothes hunting as sleeping or do you bring sleep clothes. Are you pretty much dressed in the sack when you sleep? God Bless

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    My favorate way to hunt. I hunt with a long bow that Takes apart in the middle (easy to pack in). If I'm hunting flat / bottom land, I sometimes take a flatbed Bicycle trailer (added 2 handles to it) to take a hang-on stand and tree climbers. This was the main reason I made a Smokehouse for camping with a hammock and stove.
    If I'm in the mountains, I normally hunt from ground so I pack it in... normally 2 to 10 miles...
    If I'm packing in and pack the animal out, I'll take the Mystery Ranch 6500... it be heavy also...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast