WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Exclamation Bugs!!

Bugs are everywhere down here in the Bayou. Right now I'm fully equipped with bug protection with the ENO Guardian Bug Net. I have an ENO Doublenest hammock and that gives me a little bit of protection as well. I'm looking for something that is a little less restricting (the bug net just seems to get in the way.) During the summers down here it does get hot, so I won't be curled up in my sleeping bag. So getting in my sleeping bag and wearing a head net is out of the question. Any advice on what would be easier?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Sounds like a stupid question, but do you have a ridge line on your hammock? If the net is draping in your face this might be the solution to your problem. The only issues I have with my guardian is the fact it's heavy, and breathes about as well as a nylon sock would. If all else fails, get a bias buginator or DIY a fronkey net. Both are wonderful options for bug protection.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Sounds like a stupid question, but do you have a ridge line on your hammock? If the net is draping in your face this might be the solution to your problem. The only issues I have with my guardian is the fact it's heavy, and breathes about as well as a nylon sock would. If all else fails, get a bias buginator or DIY a fronkey net. Both are wonderful options for bug protection.
    Yes I do have the ridgeline and I set it up fairly high as well. I think my biggest concern was that it is heavy and doesn't breathe very well. More than anything I'm looking for a way to keep my backpack off the ground and the bugnet kind of gets in the way (trying to figure out how to get my pack off the ground without a gear hammock and make it stay dry.) I'm thinking about purchasing a Hennessy Hammock so the bugnet doesn't get in the way. Plus I like the idea of having an all in one system.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Bugs!!

I just wrap a rope around the tree and hang my pack from it... Another option is to hang it off the head or foot end of the hammock suspension somewhere...

How does the net get in the way?

Do you use a fan? Even just a small amount of air movement in a hot muggy night makes a hug difference for me...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I just wrap a rope around the tree and hang my pack from it... Another option is to hang it off the head or foot end of the hammock suspension somewhere...

How does the net get in the way?

Do you use a fan? Even just a small amount of air movement in a hot muggy night makes a hug difference for me...
    Well basically whenever I hang it from the end of my suspension (say at the head or foot) it is in danger of getting wet from rain seeing as though it might become the new drip string or ring lol. I could put my gear in some type of water proof bag inside of my backpack (trash compactor bag...etc.) I have a Gregory Baltoro 65 bag, would it be okay hanging in a tree during the rain? Just don't want to ruin my gear.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaker View Post
    Well basically whenever I hang it from the end of my suspension (say at the head or foot) it is in danger of getting wet from rain seeing as though it might become the new drip string or ring lol. I could put my gear in some type of water proof bag inside of my backpack (trash compactor bag...etc.) I have a Gregory Baltoro 65 bag, would it be okay hanging in a tree during the rain? Just don't want to ruin my gear.
    It looks like you've got two issues that are occurring here. One is that you're worried about your pack getting wet and the other is that you're worried about the rest of your gear getting wet.

The first one is probably a non-starter. Think about how wet your pack gets from you sweating into it during an hot day. Is the rain going to make it that much wetter?

The second can be addressed through various methods. What are you carrying that matters if it gets wet? The gear that I have along on my trips goes in one of four places: food and cook gear gets bear bagged and hung away from my campsite (in a water-resistant bag), shelter stuff is underneath the tarp and off of the ground (so it's dry), backpack and day pack (odd backpack design) get hung from my suspension (and it doesn't matter if they get wet, anyway), and everything else goes either in the hammock with me (if I'm going to need it or it looks like rain) or in a water resistant bag on the ground directly underneath the hammock (if things look dry). If I bring extra clothing (I don't always), it goes into my blackbishop bag on my suspension. I've pared my gear down to the point where "everything else" is my camera, phone, ditty bag, and any maps I've taken. It helps simplify things at the end of the day.

If you're taking enough gear that some of it needs to remain in the bag, then, yes, a water-proof bag inside the pack will keep it dry. And your pack is going to get wet, from sweat if nothing else, so don't worry too much about that.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 &amp; TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64&quot; UCR's
    Images
    Hennessey with a 2QZQ mod. You simply cannot beat the convenience for four season use in south Louisiana. Treat the setup with permithrin and hit the bayou!
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    black bird or sparrow
    Tarp
    superfly, toxaway
    Insulation
    Revelation x
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I'm thinking that a hammock with a built in bug screen would do you real well. Many of them have the net built so that it can be rolled up and tied back if you don't want it.

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What absolutely can't get wet, underwear, socks, electronics etc., goes in a small dry sack or heavy duty ziplock. Rope around the tree, hang my pack, cover with pack cover or garbage bag with tiny hole for the rope to go through. Not sexy but it works. I camp in South LA, Mosquito Alley. I always use my bug net, so I removed the hooks on my ENO guardian and put the net over my SRL. I too like space between me and bug net. I use a bishop bag for my hammock, bug net and suspension.
    To ensure that I don't get bitten, I spray everything with permethrin.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide &amp; Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky &amp; GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Dry sacks, and/or gear hammock, or can you hang on your tarp ridgeline, yes trash compactor bag will work. Not much you can do about air circulation with any full bugnet, they are hot, but the protection they provide is superior. Some of us use little, battery hand held fans that we hang from a ridgeline to circulate the air. Surprising how well they work in that confined space. And finally, as mentioned, permithrin treating for the extra protection, especially where you are located.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast