Thread: line diameter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Homade Speer type
    Tarp
    Homade

line diameter

I am getting ready to build my first hammock. My question is this: beyond the weight, cost and strength issue is there any reason to go with the small diameter lines to tie off to the hammock? I will be kayak camping not hiking, so a small difference in weight or cost isn't the issue. I have a hard time getting past seeing what looks like 3/16" line holding up a hammock. I realize that it may be 1200 lb test line. But visually it looks like "the weak link" If it bites the cloth better OK. I was thinking about a 6mm prussic cord. Will that slip more than the tiny stuff? I think I have read about a thousand posts on every topic, this site amazes me on the quantity and quality of the posts, the DIY info and the quick responses. Thank you all.
    Rick

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    I use 5mm Excell racing(marlow) line that I found in the clearance section at west marine. The connection to the tree is made with seatbelt webbing I cut out of a car at the parts yard.
    Here's the spec on the line.
    http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e276768.asp
    Last edited by stretch; 02-19-2009 at 12:15. Reason: add line type/model

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Probably not the most knowledgeable on the topic, but I think the larger diameter stuff will work just fine as long as it cinches in behind the whipping knot or mass. Hammocks that run the line thru a channel at the end (ENO, TrekLight, etc.) and have no whipping mass use the larger diameter lines, but I think that's more to avoid the thin stuff cutting the fabric.

I once saw a guy hanging with that braided yellow nylon rope they use for anchor lines. He was still hanging in the morning and I can't think of a worse line/rope to use.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    When I built my DIY bridge I used the 7/64 Amsteel blue for the cordage. I know what you mean about the visual effect. But I have no problem with it now. As far as suspension from tree to the hammock I use webbing. But thin I'm not a gram weenie. I use webbing on my wife's bridge because I have fetter hers with the JRB triglides. I use webbing on my HH because I like webbing better than rope in my ring buckles.

The thin cordage, while strong does have some unique attributes when it comes to knots. I can't be of much guidance on suspension knots there because I don't use cordage but suspension triangles of the bridge were interesting to get solid and permanent. I haven't worked with prussic cord so I don't know how that stuff handles.

The weight rating and the ease of handling would be what I based a decision on.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts