Images

Is this OK with BMBH?

Pan or any one with an opinion:

First:I've been doing this on and off since last summer, 1st pic that is, not asking about the second pic, where I am just comfy on my side, almost on my stomach when I roll just a bit.

But I scoot all the way to the end and just sit up, leaning back into the end caps. Usually with just a slight twist so that my weight is a little on the hammock side and a little on the end caps, and my upper back or neck barely in contact with the spreader bars.

It is by far the most comfortable chair position I have found in a hammock, and is superb for reading. But is it safe for the hammock? Most of my weight is on one spot, and I had worried about the spreader bars, though I have recently realized I have very little weight actually on the bars.

2nd: The Vario hammock stand has been interesting. It works perfectly with my Claytor No Net and I presume also with my Speer. But with hammocks with RLs like the BB, HH or those that should be set to a certain length ( 9 ft 6")like the BMBH, there is a problem. The uprights flex, each one coming toward the center by 6" or more. This makes no difference with the Claytor, just gives it a bit more sag and more comfort.

But with my RL hammocks, I end up with a significantly drooping RL and netting in my face. With the BMBH, it is just not as comfortable as it should be, feeling as though I have hung it WAY less than the recommended distance. But if I tighten the BMBH up a good bit more than recommended, then it feels about right once I get in and the bars flex. I can probably also tighten enough with the RL hammocks also to get them to work properly. But I worry if this overtightening at the start could over stress the hammock suspension or the Vario stand, even though AFTER I get in tension and angles seem about right.

EDIT:
    3rd: Is there any reason not to run the webbing around the tree, back to and thru the BMBH outer ring, and then tie off with a slippery half hitch and another half hitch? The way you do with Claytors per their directions, except instead of running the webbing through the bowline loop, run it through the ring?

So what do y'all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-06-2009 at 16:04.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    hmmm. I see no one has answered. Give me some time as I have the BMBH and vario stand and try to give you an answer this weekend. Initially I would say I just sting the hammock on a little tight so when I lay in it it fells good. I dont think you will overstress the hammock nor the stand with no weight in the hammock. As far as sitting in the hammock, there is a similar pic on the JRB website so I would think its ok

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    As far as sitting in the hammock, there is a similar pic on the JRB website so I would think its ok
    I would have to agree. When I owned my BMB, I did the same thing. No noticeable stress. You are right; great for reading.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    BB58, et al,

We recline against the end cap without issue.... genneraly and personally we prefer to keep our head below the spreader bar....One, more comfy IMHO, two, better weight distro to hammock bottom vs end.

FWIW, the endcaps are connected to the bottoms with an overlock stitch, then straight stich reinforced, then covered with gg and sewn again... the thread is tex 90 waxed.

Can't comment on the stand and its flexing.... other than to say, "sturdy trees solve the problem".... We use trees.

Will note that if the distance between the primary rings is reduced from the recommend amount, it will not be as comfortable, because it will induce sag/curva "a la" gathered end hammocks.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    FWIW, the endcaps are connected to the bottoms with an overlock stitch, then straight stich reinforced, then covered with gg and sewn again... the thread is tex 90 waxed.

Can you say "bomb proof"... I knew you could
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Roadtorque

hmmm. I see no one has answered. Give me some time as I have the BMBH and vario stand and try to give you an answer this weekend. Initially I would say I just sting the hammock on a little tight so when I lay in it it fells good. I dont think you will overstress the hammock nor the stand with no weight in the hammock. As far as sitting in the hammock, there is a similar pic on the JRB website so I would think its ok

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    BB58, et al,

We recline against the end cap without issue.... genneraly and personally we prefer to keep our head below the spreader bar....One, more comfy IMHO, two, better weight distro to hammock bottom vs end.

Can't comment on the stand and its flexing.... other than to say, "sturdy trees solve the problem".... We use trees.

Will note that if the distance between the primary rings is reduced from the recommend amount, it will not be as comfortable, because it will induce sag/curva "a la" gathered end hammocks.

Pan
    Thanks, Pan, RT and everyone. Yes, trees are much better, and I use them----- when I go to the woods. But my backyard trees are pretty far apart and I don't like to hang in the front yard where the trees are ok but the road is close. I have my big Risk variation stand in the backyard, and it serves me well, with zero flex. But, my back yard tends to be pretty wet unless several days have gone by since the last deluge, so I'm trying this stand. And my wife would be overjoyed if my big ol' hammock stand was not in the backyard where she occasionally has to look at it. Plus sometimes when my wife and I get an RV site, our site does not have 2 good trees, so this portable stand will go on those trips.

If I tighten the hammock up beyond normal, then when I lay in it and the stand flexes, it seems close to normal comfort. If I tension it to the normal 9'6" and then get in, it is not comfortable at all for the reasons you mentioned, because it effectively shortens the hammock when the stand flexes. I can't think of any reason why there would be a problem over tightening the hammock to start with, if once I am in the hammock- and the stand flexes a lot- the distance between the rings ends up about the same, and webbing angles end up about the same as when I am hanging from the trees or my more sturdy stand. But, I might be wrong and/or missing something!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-08-2009 at 18:27.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thanks, Pan, RT and everyone. Yes, trees are much better, and I use them----- when I go to the woods. But my backyard trees are pretty far apart and I don't like to hang in the front yard where the trees are ok but the road is close. I have my big Risk variation stand in the backyard, and it serves me well, with zero flex. But, my back yard tends to be pretty wet unless several days have gone by since the last deluge, so I'm trying this stand. And my wife would be overjoyed if my big ol' hammock stand was not in the backyard where she occasionally has to look at it. Plus sometimes when my wife and I get an RV site, our site does not have 2 good trees, so this portable stand will go on those trips.

If I tighten the hammock up beyond normal, then when I lay in it and the stand flexes, it seems close to normal comfort. If I tension it to the normal 9'6" and then get in, it is not comfortable at all for the reasons you mentioned, because it effectively shortens the hammock when the stand flexes. I can't think of any reason why there would be a problem over tightening the hammock to start with, if once I am in the hammock- and the stand flexes a lot- the distance between the rings ends up about the same, and webbing angles end up about the same as when I am hanging from the trees or my more sturdy stand. But, I might be wrong and/or missing something!
    BB58,

Sounds like you plan is fine.....You are effectively figuring the flex so that the laden distance in the stand is the correct 9'5"....Should be comfortable

Altenatively you could add a brace across the end points and eliminate the flex...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts