Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Tips, tricks, words of wisdom.

A few years ago over on White Blaze, Moxie & I started two forum topics titled: Tips & tricks / Words of wisdom. They were eventually merged into one article & provided a lot of insight into hiking the AT and hiking / camping in general. So, here is that same Idea for Hammocks.
    There are no rules, well, post: “I did this and it worked” instead of “I think this may work, but have yet to try it” stuff. In other words, stuff that works, not stuff that looks good on paper.
    Also, “I screw eye bolts into the trees to hang from” or similar non-LNT practices should be avoided.
    Everyone can post, as everyone has a contribution to our “cause”!
    In a while (1 – 2 years?) I’ll take these tidbits & put them into an article under categories like but not limited to:
    Tarps.
    Suspension systems:
    Choosing a hammock.
    DIY (Hammock & non-hammock & maybe other sub-topics)
    Site selection.
    Staying warm. (sub-topics: Pads, under-quilts, 4 season, etc.)
    Staying cool.
    Avoiding bugs & other critters.
    Pets in / around the hammock.
    Going to ground (emergency or otherwise) with your hammock set up.
    Emergency repairs in the field (All gear!)
    Other (sleds, packs, stoves, clothing, cameras / photography, etc.)
    Safety will be a sub topic in all of the other categories.

As with the WB version, some of the above topics will have cross over posts, so something that fits “tarps” may also fit in “suspension systems” it will then be in both categories.
    Friendly discussion is, as usual, encouraged. And the article may include this discussion.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Lovin all this educational stuff!

My favorite cold weather trick is one I learned from others and nothing new. Dropping the tarp edges down to the ground helps block a tremendous amount of wind and aids in trapping a little extra heat. However, if you then pile leaves, snow, or some form of debris around the remaining gap at the bottom it creates an even greater boost of comfort from the elements. Care needs to be taken when using a winter tarp in this manner due to the possible build-up of condensation inside your living space. Small gaps at the top of the door flaps have been enough in my experience to minimize or eliminate this problem.

Are topics like: How to pee from a hammock taboo?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

Kan't see why not.

Just keep it clean K.

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet BlackBird & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF+
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Watch where ya leave your boots!

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by sir White Wolf View Post
    Watch where ya leave your boots!
    Have long arms. Consider taking along two plastic bags.

http://bike-europe-ultralite.com/elsassbiketour.htm

Relating to 'watch here ya leave your boots' - see item 3) under the header of 'lessons to be learned about hammock camping'

Sorry,

Not really a tip from me , just a story I ran across a couple of years ago that fit the above topic to well. Didn't think I'd be able to find the link. But amazingly google found it first try. A story about how-not-to go winter hammocking on a bike tour . Sometimes you can learn more by the failures than from the things which worked well. Bernd was a good sport and shared his story, if I had been traveling solo as he was it would have likely remained a secret known only to me.

D

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Site selection: On cold, wet, WINDY days, get thee to the lee side of the ridge! And, the further down the ridge the better!
    Tarps: Get some snakeskins for the tarp. Worth every gram. They make put up and take down SOOOO much easier.
    Suspension: Load rated carabiner on one end, ring buckles (descending rings) on the other end of each strap. Wrap the carabiner around the tree, clip, pull the strap through the rings to the desired tautness, done. Too easy.
    Packing: "BlackBishop" Bag. Basically a stuff sack with holes on each end for the suspension straps, one end big enough to stuff the hammock into. If the straps get wet, leave them outside of the bag. Makes setup and take down a snap. Everything, hammock, bug net, sock, quilts (down only!) go into the bishop bag. But... I prefer to pack my quilts separately...
    Bugs: South of the Mason Dixon line, in the summertime, a bug net is mandatory. The best part of hammocking is that you don't have to worry about spiders, and ticks, and other nasties that crawl on the ground.
    Other: Tie your boots together and HANG them nearby. Do not leave them on the ground for critters to enjoy or for "accidents" to happen.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Worried about peeing on your boots? A gear hammock will do you good. Mine is just large enough to hold my boots & a 1L water bottle. One end is attached to my hammock at the head end, the other goes to one of my trekking poles. Both ends are attached by mini biners. The trekking pole end has a guy line pre attached & that is usually just staked to one of the tarp stakes. I have tried the "tie your boots to the hammock / ridgelne" & dont like doing that, the gear hammock is easier & I like easier.

Instead of snake skins, I use a Black Bishop bag with double openings to store my hammock gear. Everything fits inside: Hammock, underquilt, overquilt, sock, gear hammock & suspension webbing. I can fully set up my hammock this way in under 30 seconds. Taking everything down is about 1.5 minutes, but I don't have to pack the quilts seperatly, it's all in one.

My hanging straps are pre attached to my hammock via ring buckles. At the far end of each strap is a climbers carabiner for ease of attachment around the tree. On a nice day, with plenty of light left, this and the Black bishop bag are simply conveniances, on a Cold rainy night, with little or no light, it is (to me anyway) vital.

Figure 9s for attaching tie outs to your tarp! I have 12 on my tarp, (2 on the ridgeline, 10 at ground level) all pre attached. As with the Biners on the straps & the Black Bishop bag: on a nice day, simply a conveniance. Where they really shine is on a dark & stormy night.

I have a small generator light, weight 0.75 Oz dedicated to the hammock ONLY. It is attached to my ridgeline by a JRB mini biner & is great for reading by or checking on stuff without having to look for my headlamp. And I never need to worry about changing batteries.

In cold weather: I hang my water bottle inside the sock, from my ridgeline at my feet. This has kept it from freezing down to 11 degrees.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    In cold weather: I hang my water bottle inside the sock, from my ridgeline at my feet. This has kept it from freezing down to 11 degrees.
    I have done the same with an insulated bottle down to -2F.

OTOH, boiling water in an insulated Nalgene, put in the foot area of your quilt/bag:
    1. Keeps the feet warm
    2. Makes sure you have water in the morning to melt snow (for more water) at ANY temperature you can survive at...

The insulation on the bottle keeps the boiling hot water from burning your feet and slows down the heat release.

--Kurt

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    IMHO the heated water bottle in bed with you is nice for the first few minutes - hours, but after a while instead of the water bottle keeping you warm, you keep it warm.

Just a theory: hung from the ridgelline the water is kept warm by heat you lose anyway.

As always, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    IMHO the heated water bottle in bed with you is nice for the first few minutes - hours, but after a while instead of the water bottle keeping you warm, you keep it warm.
    I pour boiling water in my nalgene then put it in a sock. It will stay hot throughout the night. The water has stayed hot enough that I could use it for coffee in the morning which is nice
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast