Bump in the road.

I am very new to this hammock stuff. After weeks of utilizing this great website/forum I have decided to take the "hang". So far it has been pleasing. I say "so far" yesterday I had my first major bump. I have yet to set up my hammock the correct way(thats what I think in my head). I have setup in near my house a couple of times. Once when I got the hammock. Once when I made adjustments to the suspension. Well I was determined to take my new tarp and hammock into the woods for some practice and maybe even a nap. From what I have read is that practice makes perfect. My plan was to hike in scope out 3 or 4 different possible hang sites. I would set up at one rest for a moment pack up and get to the next spot. Repeat. Third hang site was less than ideal, I might encounter this.(trees were a tad close but my hammock ends didn't touch) I set up. I am ready to enter. Slipping off the shoes and sitting. Then I rolled! IT WAS &$%^!*@ MESS! The part that is the worst my bug net is trashed! 300 hundred pounds and netting are not a good combo. So now I have a hammock with a ripped bug net. And I still have not slept in it. I guess now I get to make mods and DIY project. Sorry for the rant but needed to get that out.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Bump in the road.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I remember, that first time sitting down in my hammock, wondering whether this flimsy piece of nylon is going to hold me and, if it does, will it just flip me over like those backyard net hammocks?

Then, after a while of course, we get lackadaisical and sit in the underquilt, missing the hammock completely (don't ask me how I know).

Keep at it though. The comfort of sleeping on a cloud is well worth the adventure!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Welcome to HF! Seems you are now a 'veteran' having taken the 'fall' to the ground from the hammock. Keep up the practicing - it gets better!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Yep, check that off your list of becoming an official hammocker.
    Btw... I had a good laugh picturing all this...doesn't help with your bug net situation, but you do have a good story.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    It has happened to the best of us! As Mad mentioned, now you have a story which will get funnier the further from the day it gets!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Then, after a while of course, we get lackadaisical and sit in the underquilt, missing the hammock completely (don't ask me how I know).
    Yep, did the same thing this past weekend after getting up to go mark my territory. Happens to all of us once in a while. Just glad I was over leaves and dirt and not a hard surface...

I am sure that it was very funny. O well! Sure i pry looked like a cat trying to get out of a bathtub too. I was in a skeeter beeter pro upside down. Just makes me mad that I have to do major DIY before a 2 night practice run in a few weekends. thanks for the support makes me feel less noobish.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bob23 View Post
    ...I was in a skeeter beeter pro upside down...
    this is why you need a friend with a camera in hand at all times. man I bet that was like some crazy looking mission impossible stuff...too funny.

Sad you trashed the bugnet with no pics to share, glad you walked away from it. Look at it this way. NOW you are past that, done that, and you've learned some lessons.

My first hang I ended up getting poison ivy all over me and my tree straps. Honestly i'd rather lose a bugnet than go through that mess again. Hands, legs, and somehow i got it on my forehead too.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    As we say here...Pictures or it didn't happen.

Congratualtions welcome to the world of hanging. At least you did the right thing by trying to pre test and get familiar with setting and using your gear in different places.

If you get a chance, attend a group hang in your area. You can learn alot when attending a hang...ask questions, check out different hammocks, tarps, ect plus you can see 5 people with the same hammock and every one will be set up different.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts