Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ

ThunderBird Hammock

This past weekend at the Spring MAHHA hang, I introduced a new hammock called the ThunderBird. I was so busy doing demos and speaking with the great folks there that I didn't get any usable photos during the hang. Below is a photo that Yoda was kind enough to post.

The body is based on the DangerBird and RoamingGnome style hammocks.

- The net and overcover are completely removeable thanks to dual, custom made #5 separating zippers that run along both sides of the hammock. Same zipper operation as the RoamingGnome and DangerBird that allows entry/exit from either side of the hammock. (Note - This zipper configuration does not allow for extra zipper slides to be added.)

- The peak bags are now removable. They are attached to the hammock peaks for storing the net and/or overcover while out in the woods, but can be unattached for storage at home when you don't need them.

- The reflective grosgrain loops now feature built-in pack hooks weighing 1.4 grams each. 4 pack hooks are placed 16" from the ends of the hammock to help hold your UQ suspension in place. 4 pack hooks are placed in the normal tie-out locations.

- The shock cord tie-outs are completely removable and can be used to help anchor the head end or foot end of your UQ. Just unclip the tie-out, feed your UQ suspension over top and then re-attach the tie-out.

- The overall weight of the 11ft ThunderBird in this photo (DL 1.9/1.1) was 43.5oz. That's about 1.1oz heavier than an equivalent DangerBird. The netting or overcover & a peak bag weighs somewhere around 5.5oz. This means leaving the cover or netting at home will trim approx 4.4oz off the overall weight.

- Available in 10ft and 11ft length with either a single layer or double layer.

- Same ability to mix and match any available fabric to get the hammock you want.

- Most of the other details like suspensions and ridgeline organizer are the same as the DB or RG hammocks.

- It looks like the cost on this one is gonna be about $35 more than a DangerBird.
    10 ft Single Layer = $210.00
    11 ft Single Layer = $235.00
    10 ft Double Layer = $250.00
    11 ft Double Layer = $275.00

In the next few days, I hope to add this hammock to my site and begin to gather data about specific weights, etc. I will add information and details as I get the opportunity.

Oh.... and Happy Zipper Day!!

Thanks
    Randy "PapaSmurf"
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 04-29-2013 at 12:14.

• + New Posts