I have been pretty intrigued with the snake skin concept, and they seem potentially great, but I am still wondering if it's worth the few oz. extra wt. There are quite a few variables that might effect their usefulness. For use with the standard HH/rain fly attached to the rope, that seems like the way to go. the convenience factor should be great. Supposedly they would be a great help in setting up and taking down in the rain. But does it really work out that way? If the rain is pouring down, could you really wrap up the hammock and the rain fly and into the skins without getting the hammock soaked? And the reverse, setting up in the rain. Can you actually get this thing unwrapped and the fly staked out without soaking the hammock?

Then there is the tarp variable.I have a MacCat deluxe. I love it's stabilty in the wind, and overall increase in coverage compared to the stock tarp ( though not in length). However, I have not completely decided to dump the stock rainfly, or possibly may end up using a slightly larger version of the diamond style type tarp. (Is the JRB any larger/longer on the ridge line than the explorer UL - which is137" on the ridgeline?) The reason I haven't decided is because of just two stakes and being able to use my 2 hiking poles to raise the sides of the tarp on each of the single guyout points. But another major reason I have not decided to switch is because the original HH fly is designed to work with the snake skins. What about a larger tarp like the MacCat deluxe. Would it still work with the skins? You could probably get it to fit with larger size skins, but I'm wondering if it would wrap up easily and correctly into the skins since it is way wider at the side guy out points, rather than coming to a point like the stock Asym HH tarp?

Another variable with either tarp is tying to the tree instead of the HH ropes. I suppose if you did this you would not wrap the tarp up in the skins? If so, would the skins still offer enough added convenience while wrapping the hammock only, to be worth the extra weight?

And Shane S. says another good benefit is the skins covering the rope in heavy rain, keeping it from wicking down into the hammock without having to use a string for wicking to the ground. That might be helpful whichever tarp you used, tied to tree or rope.

Then there is the whole SuperShelter thing. But just figuring out the questions from above is good enough for now.

So, I hope there are 1 or 2 folks with a lot of snake skin experience ( or homemade versions). If so, what do you think? Worth the extra wieght? Any problems? Any thoughts on some of the possible variables mentioned?

Thanks
Bill