DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Quick & Cheap Tarp Options?

There's a chance I may need a tarp for a night or two of camping (tomorrow & Thursday)...it's a spontaneous deal where I may camp vs driving 3 hours round trip each day for a job about 1.5 hrs from home. I'm expecting a new tarp in the near future, but unfortunately I've sold my old tarp already...so I'm tarpless at the moment. It's possible I can borrow a Kelty Noah 12, but in case that doesn't work out, I need suggestions on a quick and cheap tarp. I'm thinking of picking up a 12x10 brown tarp from Wal-Mart...think ugly blue tarp, but brown in color. Does anyone have experience using one or have any better suggestions?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Those poly tarps are your best bet. Quick and cheap and will work fine. Out of the package they'll be good to go but I'd bring some duct tape or gorilla tape for quick patch jobs just in case.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

Quick & Cheap Tarp Options?

The brown and silver one from Walmart is very heavy and hard to get up to tension. I prefer the blue poly tarps over it.

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have used a camo one that I bought at Home Depot. Used it several nights with no issue, great coverage in pouring rain. It will rip out eventually where the grommets are, but fine temporarily and after that it still comes in handy for other uses.
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks for the quick responses!...still curious what others thoughts are as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Those poly tarps are your best bet. Quick and cheap and will work fine. Out of the package they'll be good to go but I'd bring some duct tape or gorilla tape for quick patch jobs just in case.
    Thanks for the tip on the duct tape...not expecting any storms or even rain...just want tarp for dew & pollen protection. It certainly won't hurt to have a roll of tape just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    The brown and silver one from Walmart is very heavy and hard to get up to tension. I prefer the blue poly tarps over it.
    Don't really want a blue tarp (even for a temporary shelter), but sounds like they would be a better option since the brown one is a heavy tarp...the package does say heavy duty...I don't think the blue ones do.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpath View Post
    I have used a camo one that I bought at Home Depot. Used it several nights with no issue, great coverage in pouring rain. It will rip out eventually where the grommets are, but fine temporarily and after that it still comes in handy for other uses.
    Thanks for the suggestion! Hope Depot...or maybe even Lowe's...would be an option if I do end up camping vs commuting. In the process of making that decision this morning...
    Last edited by Paulie; 04-30-2013 at 08:57. Reason: punctuation

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Another option, if you have a Harbor Freight close by, they have some inexpensive camo or light brown tarps that will work fine for few nights.

This is the one I have used and while I have not been out in day long pour rains, it has worked great for light drizzle, dew, and general cover.

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-ft-4...arp-46412.html

Don't get the smaller size as it won't cover your hammock well. I needed to use it on the diagonal to get good coverage on my HH.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Walmart has a backpacking tarp in their camping section for under $10. It packs down small and will offer you basic coverage from rain or falling pine needles. I have one and that I have used several times with no issues. For the price its a decent little tarp that you can use for a groundcloth or emergency shelter if you upgrade to a nicer tarp.

You can't have too much tarp...

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks dkurfiss...there is a Harbor Freight about 30 min. away...it's on the list of possible options.

Did you have to use the tarp linked above on a diagonal or the smaller one? I'm guessing the smaller one as a ridgeline of 11'4" should be fine to use as a rectangle.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    CannonBeach: thanks for the suggestion! I think I have the tarp you're talking about in my camping gear box, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's kinda small...isn't it?

Just went and looked...the one I have is 5' x 7' Outdoor Products tarp in a small pouch...I think it's a little smaller than what I'm hoping to use...I got it to use as a ground cloth, etc.
    Last edited by Paulie; 04-30-2013 at 09:54. Reason: addl. info

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast