Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DL 1.9
    Insulation
    UGQ
    But my leather saddles have gotten soaked more than once and survived to provide years of service, so I'm not too worked up about it. I've tied a plastic shopping bag over it too.
    +1 on the shopping bag cover.. my brooks spent a summer outside only covered by a shopping bag, I've since made a silnylon cover, but a bag tied on the bottom, inspected for holes is 100% reliable.
    You should relube your chain every 100 ish miles anyways so getting your bike wet on a longer trip should be no problem(as you would be prepared).

Hammock
    WBBB, DangerBird, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    DJ. Nice bikes! Is the first one an ibis? Can't tell. I think the last one is an anthem x?..
    Winner winner! I've got an Ibis Mojo, husby's got an Anthem X. No room for a frame bag on mine but whatever, I LOVE that bike.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps

Smile

Kikoraa,

I have a HH hex tarp that works well for me and may work well for you too. It may be just a bit small for having the bike under it too especially if raining hard and you are tied down tight to keep dry or warm.

Here is a link to a current thread on the Kelty Noah tarp, it shows the 9 and the 12 both and shows the 12 in a lot of different possible layouts for use. I think that may be a good reasonably priced tarp for you. I think they run around 70 bucks like the HH hex does too.

They are both a bit bulkier then silnylon tarps but much cheaper and can be multipurposed if you decide later to get a smaller lighter version when you are sure what you want/need. If you don't want to repurpose later they both seem to sell pretty well here on the forum too.

Have fun and keep experimenting it is so much fun.

Huauqui

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

YES to shower caps

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    a shower cap from a motel/hotel works well for a seat

they pack small have the built in elastic to hold them in place

just sayin

sw
    No need to nick the Hyatt in revenge for their rates or to spray down with permethrin Maude's Motorama before staying the night, just to get showercaps. They're at the $ stores, 10 or 12 for that $. (And you'll get several uses out of them for covering dishes in the 'frig, too, before they're worn out. Cheaper than foil; easier than pulling and tearing from a roll of plastic.)

On tarps: Stitch 20"- long hoods on the "canoe ends" of your hammock through the gunwales. That will greatly reduce your need for tarp length to keep rain from side-blowing in. So will tying the foot end of the tarp down low. Because biking, you really don't want bulk and weight. The answer to lost privacy --no doors etc -- is stealth.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 05-02-2013 at 22:05.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Digital Janitor...nice photos of your outings! But, what do you hang from? Sagebrush?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Images
    Didn't hang on that trip, although we had all the hammock gear loaded as a test run. We'll hopefully be hanging this weekend up in the trees now that the weather is starting to cooperate.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper XL DIY Bugnet
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Newb tarp ideas for a cycle touring.

DJ, figure you would appreciate this... Just did my first trail ride since a back injury at an endurance race back in march. It was great. You know the feeling when you go too long without trail riding? It's awful. Ive been stickig to the roads but its not the same!

Pretty techy rogue single track that follows a perimeter highway. My normal ride there is an out and back (approx 18miles) and I did about a 7.5mi night ride tonight and feel whooped! Need to get back into the swing of things!

As far as tarp goes. I'm certain ill get a superfly. Too many good things said about it.

I'm envious of your bike packing adventures. I buy frame packs from J.paks in CO. Great guy. Ill be getting a bar sling from him soon.

Hobbies are 'spensive!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Images
    ...You know the feeling when you go too long without trail riding? It's awful...
    I do OK with XC skiing over the winter to keep us occupied, but once the season starts... yeah... It lets DigitalJanitor ride dirt or It gets the hose again.

Hobbies are 'spensive!
    HA! No kidding. We've been in full-on Gear Acquisition Syndrome all winter, and things got so bad I finally had to make a list on a whiteboard in our bedroom outlining stuff we had on order or still needed. Fortunately I think we're pretty much set now.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by lattie11581 View Post
    ...The most bang for my buck so far has been the HH Hex tarp in 70D nylon. I found one on Amazon for $70. It covers well and is under $100.
    This. I've done several bike camping trips with friends where I was the only hanger and I've parked up to three bikes under my tarp.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper XL DIY Bugnet
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Newb tarp ideas for a cycle touring.

I went cheap for now. Bought a 10x8 $6 blue tarp but didn't feel comfortable with the coverage AND the loudness of the blue haha. Did some more research and found the 11'4x9'4 camo/green tarp from HFT for &11.99. Seems a little better quality without being as heavy as the "heavy duty" brown/silver tarps. Still weighs similar to the 10x8 blue. Setting it up diagonal which gives me a 14.5' ridge. Also found a thread here talking about tarred bank line so I bought some of that too. Used the prusik "V" method and everything checks out 100%
    Will definitely upgrade when the bread gettin is right but this'll have to do for now.
    So much info from this forum! Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12