Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    no.... I don't _think_ that was me.... I've had couple come loose but not launched I don't think. I could be wrong tho... But I use big mama wooden dowels so they wouldn't go very far and the don't nock like arrows so I think it must be someone else.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I recently switched from

these:

to these:

specifically because the shepherds hook style weren't holding well enough in serious wind.
    They have shepherd hood style stakes with a thicker diameter that will have different properties in how they work. I consider those a mid range stake for tarps. You have holding ability and ground penetration issues with stakes and different styles have advantages/disadvantages with soft soil, forest duff, dirt, clay, rocky, water soaked, etc. I run in to a wide variety so I like the mid range that isn't too much of a problem with most of it.

Another thing I do is use a clove hitch that stays attached to the stake until I slide it off the smooth shaft. When I get into real soft stuff I can pound the stake below the surface with the heal of my shoe, often a few inches and pack the soil a little at the same time. Then I can pull the stake out with the free end of the guyline.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    RR, et al,

While this thread is certainly interesting, and peg design and capacity is worthy of note and discussion (personally I carry a variety of pegs, couple ground hog types, few regular alum shephards, few small diameter ti shephards... thus ready for a variety of ground demands)...There is another real safety point here.

Because silnyl tarps stretch a little it is desirable to use some form of self tensioning lines to keep a taut tarp..... The issue here is to keep the risk/ benefit reasonable....Home made or puchased self tensioning lines with stretch limits of 4-6 inches are much safer than full length shock cord or bungie approahes with 2-3 times their initial length of stretch. While all could certainly pull/throw a peg not properly selected or secured, it is only necessary to provide or a small stretch in the tarp, which the self tension lines can easily do. As stated before on this subject, use of full bungies is unnecessary and dangerous.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Just for the record... I am currently refitting my tarps to remove all the full length shock cord. I have not yet settled on a tensioner design but I am seriously considering the options.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    RR I had almost the same problem at Mammoth Cave last year with neo and his boys. We had just turned in for the night when high winds and rain moved in, I had just laid down in my hammock and got comfortable when all of a sudden one side of my tarp took off and went over me. I got out of my sleeping bag in record time to grab the tarp and put it back in the ground. I happen to find a couple of medium size rocks and put them over my stakes in the ground and didn't have anymore problems, although neo did a nice laugh out of it. I was just using the aluminum stakes that came with my Kelty Noah-9, I still haven't changed stake yet. But after reading this thread I think I will soon.
    Chris

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    You have holding ability and ground penetration issues with stakes and different styles have advantages/disadvantages with soft soil, forest duff, dirt, clay, rocky, water soaked, etc. I run in to a wide variety so I like the mid range that isn't too much of a problem with most of it.
    Yeah, the shepherds hook style stakes I have are the Vargo titanium ones, so I usually keep a couple of them in a spare pocket on my pack, since they essentially weigh nothing. If I get into that heavy, rocky soil where my MSR ground hogs won't go in, the hooks are a nice backup to have. I can also use them to make a stand for my stove or similar stuff, so they serve multiple purposes.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    At least be glad that they didn't poke a hole in your tarp. Thats what happened to me!!
    MSR GroundHog strait threw my tarp!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12