DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies

Tandem Hanging??

I am trying to get my new wife out of tent camping and into the hammock but she doesn't want to be in a separate hammock (i think she would be ok if we were at least under the same tarp). I am convinced that a hammock for two would not be comfortable, and I really don't want to spend the money on a two person tarp that might not be comfortable. I spoke to a couple at MAHHA about this but I forgot their user names... they were talking about some sort of spreader bar system (I thought for spreading the gathered ends) where you could hang two hammocks side by side from the same two trees, under the same tarp (probably in a modified porch mode).. I was thinking that if the trees were wide enough in diameter, you might be able to wrap the tree straps in opposite directions so they were some distance apart (i.e. the hammock on the left would have tree straps coming off the hammock (foot-end) and wrapping clockwise around the tree while the hammock on the right would be wrapping counter-clockwise) and the hammocks might be touching a bit but not totally mashed up against one another. This also requires that you have two pretty substantial trees (which of course isn't a bad idea if you're hanging around 300 lbs). Also, I have gathered end hammocks.. What are your thoughts? If you know of a thread about this, please let me know. Thanks.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Sniveller
    I'm not sure of a hammock that would give you a truly comfortable lay with two people over night. I have however seen this discussed a few times.

If she is comfortable in her own hammock as long as its under the same tarp, your just gonna need a big tarp. I saw luke and his girl both setup under the HG Winter Palace, probably the biggest tarp ive ever seen. So I know it can be done, you just have to find 3 trees in a nice triangle pretty close together.

Look into large tarps, Old Man Winter seems big enough to get two hammocks under but I havent tried it.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I plan on trying something similar to this, but my plan is as stated above; three trees with the head ends of both hammocks sharing a tree and foot ends on their own tree... That should keep you close enough together to talk quietly but still have enough space to get comfortable.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    I did a google search and I think I answered my own question.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=29409

I found this thread that had some links to other threads. On one of them I found the HF couple that I was speaking to at MAHHA, TZ Brown - he is mentioned in the video on that thread. The video unfortunately does not show the spreader bar well enough to understand how it works. I think I will PM him and see if he might contribute to this thread and offer his ideas.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I plan on trying something similar to this, but my plan is as stated above; three trees with the head ends of both hammocks sharing a tree and foot ends on their own tree... That should keep you close enough together to talk quietly but still have enough space to get comfortable.
    Agreed, and this would be the best option but I am concerned about how it would limit site selection. I thought though that the foot end would be at the shared trees since it was narrower.
    John aka Suede

I've doubled (and trippled) with my kids a number of times (just this past weekend even). The trick is to not set the straps to hang dead center from the trees. Instead, have one hammock hang from the left of the tree and one from the right. This creates about 12" or so of horizontal distance between the two hangers depending on the diameter of the tree. We also hang one hammock a bit higher than the other, creating 12" or so of vertical distance between the hammocks. Works just fine. These concepts should work with two adults as well. Have fun.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    How about bunks?

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    +1 for bunked hammocks. I hang my 8 year old directly above me.

Good Luck

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Thanks for the suggestions all! I think I will assume that I can hang the hammocks from either side of the tree and depending on the diameters of the trees, will consider staggering them.

I also had another thought about this.. I like the idea of hanging from either side of trees and am wondering about whether I could create some sort of "extender" that would increase the diameter of the tree, like a short piece of firewood.. the only concern would be if the extender would fall out from the webbing. You would somehow need to cinch the webbing down rather than the usual loop through a biner.

Also on a confessionary note, a good portion of my motivation for this is that I want to get another hammock for myself (she will only come with me on car camps), so it's all about dual purpose in gear
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Just let her lay in your hammock for a night with you and that should cure her of the desire to tandem hang, oh wait, that may backfire..Nevermind...Carry on..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast