Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    The blackbird has all the good features the HH has, attached bugnet, etc. It is also a top loader, which most of us see as a positive thing. If you like the bottom entry, then the HH is pretty much what you want. What I especially like about my BB is that I got the double bottom version. It should make it more difficult for bugs to bite through, and I can put a pad or heat reflective sheet (emergency blanket) or whatever I want in between the layers.

A plus of an open hammock (no attached bugnet) is that you can use a peapod with it in winter. The peapod wraps completely around the hammock and you giving insulation all around. However, an underquilt on bottom and some kind of top insulation (sleeping bag, top quilt, etc.) works well, too.

Understand, you may end up as many of us have with several hammocks. There may be a reason for using any given one depending on time of year, temperature, etc. With your height and weight, you should have no limitation on what models you get of any given hammock.

One of the first accessories you will probably get is a larger tarp, no matter what kind of hammock you get. The HH hex tarp is a nice tarp, it was my first one. Definitely get something bigger than the 'stock' tarp that comes with the HH if you go that route. There are very good reasons to store your tarp in separate snake skins or stuff sack from your hammock.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Could you give some of those reasons why you should store your tarp tent in a separate skin? and why the larger tarp?

Images
    well, your tarp is often wet in the morning at least from dew or condensation and even if you shake it off it will still be a little wet, so you don't want to pack your wet tarp with your hammock.

the hh stock tarp is the smallest tarp you can get. most prefer a larger tarp for more protection from wind and windblown rain as well as having a dry area outside the hammock to sit, relax, cook etc while it's raining. in cold weather you'll want a tarp that comes down nearly to the ground to block wind, much like a rainfly on a tent does.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12