Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    You can also take 2 pieces, cut a 45 degree angle in each end, and tape them together so they look like this: http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-2...Fc1cMgodGBEAFQ

That will make it fit your hammock better if it's not a bridge type. Then, you only need 2 binder clips instead of 4.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I do not have a full length uq, I use a piece of reflectix under my knees and feet between the double layers of my hammock. Don't get condensation, do get toasty piggies.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    I've been experimenting with reflectix type windshield reflectors a bit. First I placed one between the layers of a poncho liner as an UQ, then I doubled that to 2. That works well down to about the low 40's. But for comfort I'm now trying out an inflatable SP inside the hammock with the reflector under that as extra insulation and to add width for my shoulders. It seems to work well, but I haven't tried it in really cold (under 40) temps yet. In the PLUQ it worked well, but I like the idea of the pad inside the hammock for better comfort and a flatter lay (for me at least). Also, if it works well down to very cold temps it means I don't have to worry about suspension issues for the UQ. I am going to try the SP inside my sleeping bag with a bivvy around it, but with the reflector under it as well..

Lots of things to try out yet, but these reflectors have heaps of potential uses, including making cozies for mugs and eating utensils.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Something I discovered (on my 2nd hang ever) last night.

First night: 40 degrees, 35-45mph wind, 6ft piece of reflectex inserted into the double layer of my WBRR, wearing t-shirt and shorts, IMSS black bag. I was warm as toast.

Second night: 46 degrees, no wind, no reflectex inserted into the double layer of my WBRR, wearing t-shirt and long pants, IMSS black bag. Cold - I had to put on a thick fleece jacket and a double layer wool beanie to be warm. And, I had to cinch up the mummy bag around my face so just my nose was sticking out to stay warm.

I didn't believe it at first. I thought either the forecast for last night was off or my recollection of the first night's temp was wrong. I checked the actuals for both dates and they are correct.

Remarkable!
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl

Re: Refletix type material

As is said over and over, in a hammock heat sucks out from underneath. A layer of reflectix makes better than 20 degrees difference. It can be a moisture barrier so is best under a pad or in an UQ. I use 2 layers in my PLUQ, one lengthwise and one cut to fit crosswise around hips to shoulders. Just a bit bulky but very light.

What has worked for me is placing an emergency blanket made of "space" blanket material under my Thermorest Pro sleeping pad in my Mosquito Hammock sleeve. It's worked well in the Sierras in the very low 40's. Never had a cold night in my down bag and warm gear. The blanket does an excellent job of reflecting my body heat and Thermorest Pro provides an air space to keep me from sweating. The sleeping pad works great because it widens the hammock slightly and come in handy when we're above timber line and can't find any tie points.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    If you think about it, an emergency blanket has NO insulation. it's pretty much tin foil. but it works by stopping the loss of radiated heat. A friend of mine has used reflectix material with great success, and after sweating like a pig using ccf in the summer, I think I'm gonna try a long window shade next time. wish I could use real reflectix, but it's kinda pricey and I don't need 50'

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
    If you think about it, an emergency blanket has NO insulation. it's pretty much tin foil. but it works by stopping the loss of radiated heat.
    True, but it's also a 100% moisture/vapor barrier. I'd be interested in seeing some results using materials which were vapor-porous but infra-red reflective.
    Most of the talk about reflective materials to keep us warm is 'hoopla' (to be polite).
    Infra-red radiation (i.e. radiated 'heat') cannot pass through your insulated (down/foam/synthetic/fleece layer, so will not 'escape'.

A good short article on heat generation and loss for hikers and campers is here.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
    I think I'm gonna try a long window shade next time. wish I could use real reflectix, but it's kinda pricey and I don't need 50'
    Reflectix: 25-ft x 24-in at Lowes $21.65 on line
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I got a jumbo sun shade at wally world for $8. it's foil on both sides, with bubble wrap type material in the middle. might be actual reflextix I don't know. it's 26" x 67', should be about perfect. I like a little wrap around the shoulders and hips, keeps them warm too

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast