Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles

Our First Hammock Overnight

Last weekend my buddy and I took our first camping trip with our hammocks. We had each spent a few nights both in his backyard and in the woods by my house, but always had the safety net of having our beds right there if needed. This was our first trip with nowhere to sleep, but our hammocks.

We went to a favorite spot on the Deerfield River in MA. Our usual camping spot had been destroyed by the winter storms so we found a different spot to set up camp. It was so great not having to find level flat ground to put a tent. Where we both ended up sleeping a tent never would have worked. The hammocks worked perfectly though. Neither of us have all the proper gear yet, but we made do. I made a makeshift UQ from an old blanket that worked great for one night. Even though it got down into the 30's I stayed relatively comfortable.

The next morning we decided to take a hike to see our old spot. It was about an hour hike to get there. A few minutes into our hike I stopped and said we had to go back to camp because we forgot to bring something. We ran back and grabbed our hammocks. Can't do that with a tent . Once we got to the old spot we hung the hammocks and kicked back to take in the beautiful day.

We are both so hooked on this now. My 8 year old daughter told me now she wants to get into hammock camping. I could not be happier!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Chinook Sand 12x9
    Insulation
    UQ conversion & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I know the feeling! I get a kick out of watching the guys I usually camp with rush to get the best flat spot while I just make my way down towards the creek, or onto a hillside, wherever I can find the best hang. I'm curious how you rigged the blanket UQ, cause that might be a good option to use for spring/summer camping.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Nice! I love a success story!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Our First Hammock Overnight

Sounds like a good night out... I love not having to have flag ground as well... I usually try to find places on purpose that tents wouldn't be able to use... They usually offer the best views...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    Quote Originally Posted by rottenpossum View Post
    I'm curious how you rigged the blanket UQ, cause that might be a good option to use for spring/summer camping.
    I folded my blanket in half the long way (not sure what the dimensions are). On one edge of the blanket I tied a few pieces of line. I had one by my head, one by my feet, and a few in between. On the other edge I did the same thing but the line had a loop in the end (bowline). I put the blanket into the rough position I wanted then passed the line at my head through the loop at the head and tied that off (with just a half hitch) to my hammock suspension line. I did the same with the foot end. For a mild night I just attached the head and foot. For colder nights I used more of the loops. The only issue (aside from weight and bulk) is that with the middle loops if I use those it tends to collapse the hammock in on itself. It is not a huge issue, but it does pull the sides of the hammock down a bit. It works very well for keeping the draft down underneath, but not the best on the sides. Not horrible, but not the best. For a free UQ made out of available items where weight is not a big issue it has worked well enough for me. I have already decided that a real UQ (prob the incubator) will be my first big purchase for my system.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I usually try to find places on purpose that tents wouldn't be able to use... They usually offer the best views...
    That is the thing I love most about hammock camping...the view. I was with my parents the other night and mentioned I was going to sleep in the woods that night. They both looked at me like I should be committed. Mom asked why in the world I would want to do that. The only parts of my explanation that made any sort of sense to her was the view I would wake up to. I purposely have not used my bugnet yet even though it would help with warmth a bit, especially without a real UQ, but I have not wanted to give up my unobstructed view.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Nice spot along the river, but make sure those trees are well rooted. Trees along river banks usually have very shallow roots and are in unstable, saturated soil. Camping with the kids is great. I can't wait until my grandkids get old enough to go with me.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Tree Strap w/ Beet

Our First Hammock Overnight

You guys will never go back to tents. Great pix

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    Thankfully those trees were rock solid. Great advice though. There are a lot of things I need to remember to think about when picking a spot.

Tent...just for the kids now until they want to hammock.

• + New Posts