First Overnight Hang

Next Friday night, I'm planning my first overnight in the hammock (Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip). I'd like to ask opinions about my strategy for bottom insulation for that first trip. I would expect around 55-60 F for an overnight low where I'll be sleeping.
    I have a Big Anges 15 degree bag and I planned on taking my insulated air core pad (slightly inflated) and putting in the sleeve? Is this overkill for 55-60 F? I also have a Zlite sol that I used in the past under the Big Anges when camping in the 15-20F range. Should I put the Zlite perpendicular to the Big Agnes (under my shoulders)? I also have a surplus MSS sleep system. Would it be better to use the Goretex Bivy and patrol bag?
    In a tent in this range, I would not even use a sleeping bag. I'd just use my Sea-to-Summit liner and sleep on top of the pad. I just don't have a clue what to expect. Long-term, I plan on pursuing the underquilt, but I do not want to be miserable until I can make that happen.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Mike

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I think you should be fine with the pad for this trip, but it's very personal. If it's your first night, I'd stick around where it's easy to bail out.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Disclaimer: I'm a nearly-inhumanly warm sleeper. View this in that light.

If your top insulation (the bag liner) is good to the expected temperatures, the two pads placed into a "T" formation will do just fine for most folks at that temp. I wouldn't even worry about the second pad, if my top insulation was fairly incompressible (synthetic rather than down). But, to be safe, it's probably worth taking both.

I wouldn't worry about using the 15* bag; that's probably way overkill for those temperatures. The MSS might work just fine. If memory serves, the survival rating for the patrol bag is something like 40*, right? So, it should be comfy at 55* to 60*.

Is this a car camping trip? Or are you hiking into where you're going? If it's the former, bring everything and give it a go. Worse comes to worst, you'll be too warm or cold during the evening and have to walk the fifty feet to the car for something else. If it's hiking, go a little overkill; better to have it and not need it than the other way 'round until you know your gear inside and out.

FLRider's first rule of gear testing: do it where you have a backup that you know works. Either a safe place to bail to or gear that absolutely works for the expected conditions.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts