Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest

Newbie Question about Ridge Line's

After reading about Ridgeline’s I’ve decide to put one on my ENO Double. I picked up some V-12 (New England Rope) at the local Marina. Now the question I have is where do I attach it and what knots to use (Pictures would be nice.) I’ve already upgraded my suspension to the straps and cinch buckle that I found on Just Jeff Website.

From my research I’ve seen that 100” should be a good starting point is that correct?

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    You could make a loop and use a larkshead/girth hitch to attach to the cord coming out of the hammock material. Then use a simple round turn with two half hitches on the the other side.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/

ridgeline.JPG

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Where you attach the ridgeline will play into how long it needss to be. If you tie it into the suspension ropes it will need to be a bit longer than if you tie it in back farther into the whipping. I would suggest you make it adjustable to start with so you can play with the length.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I believe the only true way to find your RL length is to experiment. 100" is a good starting point.

I don't know how much line you bought, but you may take a look at the SLS system. It allows you to adjust the length of the ridge line until you find the length that best suits you.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I believe the only true way to find your RL length is to experiment. 100" is a good starting point.

I don't know how much line you bought, but you may take a look at the SLS system. It allows you to adjust the length of the ridge line until you find the length that best suits you.
    Is your RL at a permanent length or do you need to adjust it every time you set up?

I like how you attached your Hammock to the Ring I’m going to try that with my cinch buckle.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Most of my RLs are permanent simply because I've found the correct length for that hammock. I have found that different brands and styles of hammock lay different and all require some adjustment to the length. Another easy way to experiment with RL length is to use a trucker's hitch to adjust length until you find the sweet spot. Then you can make a fixed RL in the required length.

The height of the RL from the hammock will also make a difference. If you have a 100" RL attached right at the hammock, the sag will not be the same as a 100" RL attached higher up on the suspension.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    I personally just used bowlines at the end to secure my ridgeline. Just make sure you have some really high test line though as bowlines do cut strength of rope by I believe half. I'm using Amsteel 3/16" so this isn't much of a problem for me as this stuff has incredibly high test strength and I only weigh 140 anywho.

Images
    the correct rl length is only in relation to your hammock length. if your hammock is rather short or long, 100" might be way off. my hammock fabric is 120" and the rl is 101", that gives a cretain amount of sag, but if the hammock was 8.5-9', the same 101" rl would create a completely different sag.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I've come to believe that if the ridgeline is not sagging once you are in the hammock, then it has done everything it is designed to so---set your sag. You can have your ridgeline under hardly any tension and not sag, or under tremendous tension. And if under tremendous tension that means your other suspension lines are too, and there really is no point in that.

Correspondingly, on the ridgeline I use cord that is too weak for the full suspension. It is lighter. I have used this very much like HC4U does in his SLS, with the only difference being that each ring is tied to the ridgeline, and to a suspension cord. When I'm first looking for the right sag I tie the ridgeline with an adjustable knot, and once that's dialed in, tie it down.

I had what I thought was a good a suspension line (2.8mm Spyderline) snap on me before I learned that you could put too much tension on the suspension. Don't wish to repeat the experience! Having a weaker line as the ridgeline is safer, in the sense that it will snap before the heftier suspension line will.

just my $0.05

Grizz

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Thanks everyone for your great ideas on setting my RL. I'm going to play with it this week and see what I come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    You could make a loop and use a larkshead/girth hitch to attach to the cord coming out of the hammock material. Then use a simple round turn with two half hitches on the the other side.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/

ridgeline.JPG
    Thank for the great website on knots, i've saved this site as a “go to” site on knots.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast