Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings

Question What's Your Favorite Quilt Suspension Setup, and Why?

My Unnecessarily Complicated Hammock DIY project gives me quite a bit of latitude when it comes to attaching my quilt, so I thought I should ask what ya'lls' opinions are on different methods used to hang them. I don't have much experience in the insulation field, so I have no personal preferences (yet).

As far as I know, there are two general ways the quilts are slung;

1) Buttons, ties, or some other fasteners are used to attach the quilt at multiple locations on the sides and body of the hammock. To my thinking, this seems complicated, but likely to result in very consistent (but not tight) fit between the hammock and quilt. Are certain attachment types better than others?

2) A cable suspension using shock cord is used to tension a quilt against the floor of the hammock. Very simple, very fast, and probably more adjustable. But my hammock floor is more contoured than a simple gathered-end hammock, so getting a consistent fit may be more difficult. It seems like it could be either more, or less, windproof

The most direct solution is to make the quilt integral to the hammock body, but I'd like to do a lot of testing with my setup before the cold-weather adventure, and that means using it in Texas during the summer months. So a non-removable 3" quilt is a no go (related question; favorite bug net attachment methods)

TCB
    www.hammockforums.net --I get it!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double Chute
    Tarp
    still figuring...
    Insulation
    adipose tissue
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies!
    From what I've gathered so far, shock cord is the best / most preferred method for suspending UQ, sometimes assisted by triangle thingies, and ocassionally clips if necessary.

For the bugnet, see Fronkey's guide here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=39983
    Last edited by Hanging by a Thread; 05-03-2013 at 22:04. Reason: "guide" not "design"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I use a variation on 'option 1'. My hammock has velcro sewn along both sides and the foot section so I sewed velcro to the edges of my PLUQ to match - then wrapped the ends up around the hammock. It forms a non-shifting, no-gap fit.
    I tried the shock cord method but I couldn't get a snug fit to the hammock without distorting the shape and effecting the lay.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    Thanks for the bug-net link; I love one size fits all solutions, and the fact it maintains a gap off of the hammock is great since mine isn't impenetrable to mosquitos

Passinthru,
    Have you found the Velcro is holding up well? I thought about it since it holds well, but not enough to tear the fabric if snagged, but I was worried it would wear out with use or get snagged on debris constantly (or bug netting)

TCB
    www.hammockforums.net --I get it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelToe View Post
    Passinthru,
    Have you found the Velcro is holding up well? I thought about it since it holds well, but not enough to tear the fabric if snagged, but I was worried it would wear out with use or get snagged on debris constantly (or bug netting)

TCB
    I always try to keep the hammock and quilt off the ground so I haven't had a problem with it losing its grip so far. Velcro can lose its grip - really noticeable in things like the grandkids shoes. Velcro that is kept clean doesn't seem to ever wear out in my experience. On my hammock the only thing it snags on that it shouldn't is some light cord I use in a few places for extra support for the quilt attachment. Once the quilt is on it stays in place really well. I sometimes stuff the hammock with the quilt installed and it is in place again for the next use.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like shock-cord styles........
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    AHE TOXAWAY
    Insulation
    HG INCU/ EE REV X
    +1 for shock cord style

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    shock cord and i really like the hammock gear method

Hammock
    SBPro GTUL
    Tarp
    Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Leighlo 30*
    Suspension
    Linelocker/Rings

Talking

I got a 30* Leighlo UQ with their suspension system already installed and is a breeze to install. So simple to to use and comfortable. Highly recommended.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus87 View Post
    I got a 30* Leighlo UQ with their suspension system already installed and is a breeze to install. So simple to to use and comfortable. Highly recommended.
    I haven't tried Leighlo, but I was impressed with the video of their suspension. I think it borrows the best part of all other suspensions and makes the most sense, especially the newest version they were making right before they retired from production. I wish they were still around.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast