Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/toggles
    I have tried Avon Skin-so-Soft as an alternative to DEET and found that it works, but doesnt last long. It seems like once it dries, it is done. I cant find a perfect balance until winter. I'm either covered in chemicals, overheating from reduced ventilation with a bugnet, or being eaten alive by bugs. And even with DEET, there is still that irritating whine of swarming mosquitos...
    I am hesitant to use permethrin after reading the warning labels. It claims to be safe once dried, but does sweat re-activate the badness?

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Cheap Guide Gear
    Insulation
    You callin me fat?
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!!
    I toughed it for a few outings since I starting hanging and finally gave in for last weekend's outing. I had to get a net, so I used a gift card for "Richard"'s Sporting goods and got the heavy as heck ENO. Glad I did, too. The outside of the net was just covered in bugs. Don't think I will be camping in even comfortable weather without it from now on. Also, this is Western Washington.... Really squishy year round.
    Last edited by sledjockey; 07-09-2013 at 15:08. Reason: Spelling is horrible.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by spectactical View Post
    I am hesitant to use permethrin after reading the warning labels. It claims to be safe once dried, but does sweat re-activate the badness?
    I am also curious about this. Does getting your clothing wet either by sweating or jumping in the lake "re-activate the badnesses?"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    The Permethrin is treated and withstands several washings. If this is the case, i doubt that getting it wet would cause any problems. Like in the video on the last page, it's on your shirt, similar to how the color is on there, it aint' coming off.
    I've had some mosquitos bite me at a few of those AT shelters, no fun. i even had permethrin on the pants, and they flew up the leg.. I'm sure they died, but the damage was done..

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Is it possible to sleep without a bugnet and survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky kid View Post
    i even had permethrin on the pants, and they flew up the leg.. I'm sure they died, but the damage was done..
    Yeah, that's why I tuck my pant legs in gaiters. I'm amazed at how many don't do this. I guess it ain't "cool". It's very effective though for ticks. I've never gotten a tick since using permethrin AND tucking in my pant legs. The first year I used permethrin I didn't tuck in my pant legs. A tick crawled up my leg and dug in. He was dead when I found em'. Lucky I didn't get Lymes. I can only imagine the permethrin killed him since my pants had been soaked and not just sprayed on the outside.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spectactical View Post
    I keep my hammock treated with permethrin 'cuz the skeeters in Florida are about as bad as they come. During hot summer nights, the only way to stay cool is bare skin in contact with the treated hammock. Haven't had any problems.

Trivia:
    Believe it or not the original name for Orange County, FL (where Orlando is located) was Mosquito County.
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Don't have one yet
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Tie down straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Raos View Post
    I have heard they try to avoid flying over moving water. Not sure if that is true or not, but if it is you could hang right over a small creek or something.
    Anyone who's ever fly fished can attest that this is definitely not true. The bugs might "try to avoid it" but they are definitely successful at accomplishing it.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thanantos View Post
    Anyone who's ever fly fished can attest that this is definitely not true. The bugs might "try to avoid it" but they are definitely successful at accomplishing it.
    Got that right! A while back I was fishing a pond out of my kayak and got MUNCHED...

Is it possible to sleep without a bugnet and survive?

Avon skin-so-soft works because it has witch hazel in it which bugs don't like... I bought some bug spray from REI that was 100% deet and it works well.
    Last edited by Tylerpienta; 07-13-2013 at 10:41.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234