Thread: Hello world!

Hello world!

Hello. My name's john.

I have been hammock camping since I was 17 now currently 19. maybe not as long as some of the folks on here, but I know a thing or two. Mainly my camping is between Ocala, random parts of Osceola county [where I live] and that's pretty much it. Normally I just camp around locally. So as you can tell by now, I'm from Florida, born and raised here. I traveled with my family as a kid all up and down the east coast, never got to go to the midwest or west yet. Maybe some day!

I currently have the Skeeter Beeter Pro by Grand Trunk my second one actually. As the seam ripped on the bag of my original bought one. I emailed the company asking for a replacement bag. And they just sent me a whole new hammock! so technically I have 2, just one with a ripped bag that I sewed up and currently still using because the other one smells funny [like a factory] and I let the girlfriend use it! [as she doesn't mind the smell.. it gives me a headache!]

Only thing about the skeeter beeter pro.. Is it doesn't "beet" the "skeeters" aka the devils bugs of florida - Mosquitoes! they always bite me through the hammock, now I have solved the issue with a big bulky "bed pad" that makes your back sweat. and sometimes moves around. So that's why I joined a forum. To get info [I'll be using the search function before asking questions.. not my first forum rodeo!]

Yup, I'm also here for advice on tarps and what one's gonna keep me - and my hammock, the dry-ist!

Yup that's all I got right now..

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Lakeland. Looking forward to a meet up on the trail. Most of us here in central Florida will be taking a break from our hangs until the fall. Plenty of time for you to get the bugs worked out of your kit unless you are one of those the heat, humidity, and mosquitos don't bother.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Welcome aboard from Lakeland. Looking forward to a meet up on the trail. Most of us here in central Florida will be taking a break from our hangs until the fall. Plenty of time for you to get the bugs worked out of your kit unless you are one of those the heat, humidity, and mosquitos don't bother.
    ya'll seem to do a lot of meet ups then around here? Sounds like a ton of fun.

and NAH! the heat, humidity don't bother, the mosquito's and bee's love me though! I don't really love them back though...

My normal trips are 2 night trips. I don't own a car, so I'm limited on how much my motorcycle can carry. And that includes food. I can go longer if I weren't lazy and quit throwing all my fish back into the waters!

And yeah the meet up's sound like a ton of fun I will def. check out the meet up sections of the forums.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Hello world!

Welcome from South Florida we do indeed like to meet often during fall, winter & spring. Solve your bug problem by treating the bottom of your hammock with permethrin. Let it dry completely before packing it away. And, don't let cats near it until it is bone dry, then it's OK. Ditch the sweaty pad if you are brave enough to go out in summer's heat. Contact FLrider as he likes to hike in this heat. He's in Gainesville.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Welcome from South Florida we do indeed like to meet often during fall, winter & spring. Solve your bug problem by treating the bottom of your hammock with permethrin. Let it dry completely before packing it away. And, don't let cats near it until it is bone dry, then it's OK. Ditch the sweaty pad if you are brave enough to go out in summer's heat. Contact FLrider as he likes to hike in this heat. He's in Gainesville.
    I think "likes" is a bit strong there, MAD777. "Too stupid to stay indoors during the summer" is probably a bit closer to truth.

~~~~~~

Welcome from Gainesville!

As has been mentioned, Permethrin is wonderful for beating the skeeters. Another option is to wear a shirt to bed (mosquitoes can't bite through the two different layers of fabric), though that gets problematic in hotter weather. Yet another is to use a breathable underquilt protector (2QZQ sells 'em)--that does the same thing as a shirt, but covers the entire bottom of the hammock.

As to the tarp, there're about seventy million different ways to skin that one. It really depends on what you want: just a place to sleep? A place to hang out and cook with a friend or two when things're pretty wet? Or a palace where you can park the motorcycle and then host a fifteen-person soiree in the middle of an hurricane? (Okay...maybe a little hyperbole on that last one...) Figuring that out will help you determine what weight, size, and cost tarp you want (pick two: light, big, cheap).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome from the Piney Woods of East Texas. I had the same problem with the GT Skeeter Beater, namely, mosquito bite-through the under fabric. It is a comfortable hammock. Try the permethrin.

I have not had that problem with my double layer Dream Hammock DangerBird yet, but I have not tested it in serious skeeter country yet either.

This forum is the best place to get educated fast on the art and science of hammock camping, and this is probably the friendliest forum on the inter-webs!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    $16 Brown WallyMt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome from SW PA.
    "So long and thanks for all the fish."~The Dolphins

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from another Kissimmee hanger! I too get out in this heat, whether I am nuts for doing so depends on who you ask! I try and get out in Ocala anytime I can, and can usually find me at Hidden Pond. Drop me a PM if you want to get out on a weekend. Oh, and I swear by Permethrin, Sawyer makes some premixed solution in a spray bottle that you can find at your local Wal-mart. Makes single layer bug netted hammocks possible in a mosquito laden state like Florida.

Hammock
    WL Nite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    KAQ under, WL over
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the forum.

• + New Posts