Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    Okay, so it seems to me that there are two possible scenarios here depending on how you have planned and packed for the trip with regards to bottom insulation since emergencies can be planned for or unplanned for.

1. Going to ground was unplanned for and you have to improvise and make do with the gear you have. E.g. - A suspended UQ that depends on loft to reduce heat loss.

2. Going to ground was anticipated and your gear choices can be utilized to perform multiple functions. E.g. - A pad and/or thermal reflective material that will reduce heat loss while suspended or compressed.

In the case of scenario 1 you probably have to provide for three basic needs - a sleep-able surface, insulation, and a water & wind barrier.

a. Keep walking or do a 180 if you are physically able and your clothing + the exercise would keep you warmer/drier than sleeping on the ground.

b. Set up your tarp/hammock ridgeline using your trekking poles. Use your poncho, rain gear, trash bag, plastic, etc. under the hammock to keep it dry, use your UQ and any extra clothing inside the hammock for as much comfort and bottom insulation as it will provide.
    The lumbar padding or hip belt on your backpack can be utilized as insulation/padding under your back and head. If your boots are dry try keeping them on but don't sweat out your socks.
    Eat any high fat / calorie dense food you have and keep as hydrated as possible. If needed heat up some water bottles or rocks for extra heat.

c. A variation of b. for more dire circumstances would be to use the tarp/hammock to form a bivy in lieu of having adequate ground protection from water. You turn the treated side of the tarp onto the ground then proceed as above using your UQ, clothing, backpack, etc. to get as warm and comfortable as possible.
    You "close the deal" by wrapping the tarp up over the whole ensemble. This method should retain the most body heat at the expense of being less breathable. You will have to have some ventilation to breathe of course.

In the case of scenario 2 you have much better options on the ground but probably at the expense of some bulk/weight & comfort while hanging.

a. Combine a lighter UQ with some Reflectix and/or CCF. Add some plastic, Tyvek or Mylar for ground protection.

b. Use a high quality insulated pad like an Exped Downmat or Synmat for the most comfort on the ground (these work really well) along with some additional Reflectix, CCF, or PE while hanging inside the hammock. Add some plastic, Tyvek, or Mylar for ground protection.

c. Not an option on this website. Haha.

Anywho, that's what I would take into consideration, been there done that.

You may have special needs or circumstances that you will have to work out on your own of course, HYOH.
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    My friend Destikahr(Brian) and I, got totally trashed one night sitting around my weekend bonfires and I accidently locked him out the house when I went inside. I passed out cold and he couldn't get me to wake up via/phone or knocking and he was stuck outside with rain on the way. Mind you this was middle of Jan and it was around 35F that night. He saw that I had a tarp covering a large mound of sand sitting in my yard. He grabbed the tarp and rolled himself up in it like a rug and laid comfortably on the mound of sand that he conformed to the shape of his body and slept warm and toasty all night from what he said. Understanding that the alcohol probably helped him sleep better, but he was able to use little simple ingenuity to keep himself from freezing and he came up with this while completely wasted(not that it was overly complicated); but point being that there is a 1000 scenarios that you may have to deal with and its pretty hard to prepare for all of them. Best survival tool is just a little ingenuity.
    If it was me, I would have broken in the house but, how often do drunk people's decisions make since?

Sorry if this is off topic a bit...

Hammock
    WWBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Just my .02 cents but this is where the Handy Hammock system would come in shall we say handy.
    May your tarps keep you dry and your backsides remain warm.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    And torso length piece of ccf doesn't weigh much, gives you a place to sit, keeps feet warm in hammock (3/4 UQ) and when combined with your empty pack you are off the ground. Leave the hammock packed and just use the tarp with hiking poles.

Not comfy but warm.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    to find trees. If it's an emergency situation then by all means, hang from the 3000 year old tree... I hope I'm not coming across as a smart-a$$ or anything so please dont take any of this the wrong way..Just trying to simplify things a bit for ya.
    ... I'd rather die than hurt a 3000 year old tree

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    I've never seen a 3000 year old tree but if it's anything like the 500+ year douglas fir or cedars we have here on the west coast of Canada...well first, you better have a lot of line to go around them, and second that bark is 4-5 inches thick or more on the old ones, good luck hurting it without a chainsaw or axe.

Oh wait...was this a comment more meant for a bad joke about tree huggers...

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post

I'm sure that tree has seen far worse than hammock webbing over 3000 years. God knows how many animals have messed with that tree or severe storms that tree has had to weather and climate changes that it has gone through.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    If I was facing a situation where going to the ground was a real possibility, I would take my bivvy bag and Thermarest.

When hanging, I slip my Thermarest into the footbox of my sleepingbag/topquilt and slide that into my Bivvy. Then I put the whole thing in the hammock. The bivvy offers some warmth and it helps keep the pad under you.

If you have to go to the ground, then the bivvy bag gives you that option.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    And torso length piece of ccf doesn't weigh much, gives you a place to sit, keeps feet warm in hammock (3/4 UQ) and when combined with your empty pack you are off the ground. Leave the hammock packed and just use the tarp with hiking poles.

Not comfy but warm.
    What he said. This is why you always carry a pad....Period. Not only can you use one for all the things Jason mentioned but
    lots of things can happen. I had a friend who's hammock ripped in the middle of the night. Of course that wasn't anticipated, and his pad saved the day. Also having a pad saved me once, not going to ground (hasen't happened yet in 3 years) but as extra insulation when it got much colder than anticipated. I'm never without one.
    Last edited by L.D. Cakes; 05-07-2013 at 20:48.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12