Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Emergency ground dwelling...

Hey gang.

I'm trying to figure out a solution to emergency ground dwelling for a hammock camper.

This could be necessary if you get stuck above the tree line with no trees near or ONLY bristlecone pines.

I do NOT want to hang from a bristlecone pine as hurting a 3000 year old tree would break my soul...

Anyway. I guess I would use my trek poles to hold up my tarp and then maybe use my backpack and hammock as a ground sheet to insulate me?

I'm not sure how warm I would be and also worried about damage to my hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies

Re: Emergency ground dwelling...

I had some fun pitching my Superfly on the ground, which you can check out here. Result would be different with different styles of tarps, obviously, but the concept is the same. As for insulation, I think you're mostly screwed if it's an emergency, unplanned going to ground and don't ordinarily use a pad. You'll be fine with a top quilt for above, but below will suck. Then again, you can't really expect luxury when being forced to the ground. And as long as you use a ground sheet between the hammock and the evil ground, your hammock should be fine... Though your body may not be, come morning. ;p

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I've played around with it but never had a need on a hike; I don't get above treeline. I will tell you that a pad or at least tyvek to lay on while I the hammock is mandatory. If the temps are very low consider a synth UQ or a Klymit x frame pad for your down quilt. Or better yet if you know this is a likelyhood then just learn to master the pad in hammock and on the ground. That has been the toughest part for me keeping the hammock & UQ clean and dry while on the ground. Good luck and be sure to let us know what you come up with.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Tyvek and Reflectex? Home Depot is your friend

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    If I'm forced to go to ground I put down my poncho first, my sleeping pad second, then my hammock, using my hiking poles to hold up the ends and then the tarp. Of course, if I'm not carrying a sleeping pad, this doesn't work quite as well. If you're expecting you'll have to go to ground sometime during your trip, then a sleeping pad becomes almost mandatory (as opposed to a under quilt). One possible solution, if you go with the under quilt, is to use a pile of pine needles and leaves as a pad underneath everything when on the ground.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I always bring a pad if I think I will be above treeline. A 3/4 torso length GG pad that folds up is a perfect pad that fits into my pack, doesn't weigh much and can be used to supliment my quilt if the temps drop beyond its range.

This summer I will be doing trips in mixed terrain and will be bringing an exped pad instead of my Underquilt. I'll rig my tarp on the ground and pull my bug sock over my head if needed.

S

[QUOTE=Kyle;1003117]. As for insulation, I think you're mostly screwed if it's an emergency, unplanned going to ground and don't ordinarily use a pad. You'll be fine with a top quilt for above, but below will suck. Then again, you can't really expect luxury when being forced to the ground.

This isn't accurate. I sleep amazing on the ground on my Exped Downmat. So much so that I've actively been hybridizing my gear to be able to hang or G2G with my standard gear. Your pics of the Superfly on the ground is what inspired me, thanks for posting those.

If you're going on a hike where you MIGHT have to go to ground, I'd plan accordingly. Take a CCF pad or a reflectix pad so it doesn't kill your weight and you can still be adequately prepared. Wont be as comfortable as an inflatable but you wont freeze to death either. Might be sore but you'll be warm.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    Hey gang.

I'm trying to figure out a solution to emergency ground dwelling for a hammock camper.

This could be necessary if you get stuck above the tree line with no trees near or ONLY bristlecone pines.

I do NOT want to hang from a bristlecone pine as hurting a 3000 year old tree would break my soul...

Anyway. I guess I would use my trek poles to hold up my tarp and then maybe use my backpack and hammock as a ground sheet to insulate me?

I'm not sure how warm I would be and also worried about damage to my hammock.
    Your hammock will not insulate you. If you have to go to ground on part of your trip them learn to use a pad,,dbl layer hammock would help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    If I'm forced to go to ground I put down my poncho first, my sleeping pad second, then my hammock, using my hiking poles to hold up the ends and then the tarp. Of course, if I'm not carrying a sleeping pad, this doesn't work quite as well. If you're expecting you'll have to go to ground sometime during your trip, then a sleeping pad becomes almost mandatory (as opposed to a under quilt). One possible solution, if you go with the under quilt, is to use a pile of pine needles and leaves as a pad underneath everything when on the ground.
    If your above tree line and have to go to ground there are no pine needles.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Thought I'd chime in my .02 here.

If you have any reason to suspect that going to the ground is likely/probable/possible, I'd suggest a slight gear change and go with some type of pad as part of your setup. Thermarest/etc...

As others have mentioned, some Tyvek or even just a .3 mil 55gal trashbag that you can use as a ground cloth underneath your pad can save you a lot of heartburn.

Personally...I'd drop the idea of using the hammock while on the ground completely. Use your trekking poles as tent poles to hold up your tarp...stake your tarp down to the ground, put your trashbag as a ground cloth, and sleep on top of your pad with your topquilt/top insulation as normal. It might get buggy...but that's another reason for using permethrin on your trail clothes.

Tarp camping has been a UL option for years. The hammock just adds (a massive amount) of comfort and convenience to it when trees are available to hang from.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Well if you had any exposed rock face you could use climbing wedges(nuts) to anchor to the rock face and hang your hammock that way. But I find it hard to see one stuck in this scenario in the first place. If you're going to an area that doesn't have places to hang, then why would you take a hammock? And if you're in a place that doesn't have hanging options, then why not just keep walking until you find a pair of trees? I'd suggest, packing accordingly to your trip or burn a few calories and walk a little further to find trees. If it's an emergency situation then by all means, hang from the 3000 year old tree... I hope I'm not coming across as a smart-a$$ or anything so please dont take any of this the wrong way..Just trying to simplify things a bit for ya.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast