Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Overdue 388 Dangerbird Reporting in

Enjoying the dream hammock and finally getting around to snapping some photos. The cut of the hammock is extremely generous. Very comfortable. The zippers were a little hard to reach, but I added leashes with glow in the dark zipper pulls from Arrowhead equipment. The underquilt clips work great with my 3/4 HG underquilt by using a set of the clips for hammock tie outs. The picture shows me using one of the tie outs, but really don't need to with how the hammock is constructed. The stitching is immaculate, and I am really pleased with the dangerbird.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369704089.023333.jpg
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Congrats! Now time to update your orofile
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    love my DB sooo comfy, please let us know some details you chose!!

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by yooz85 View Post
    love my DB sooo comfy, please let us know some details you chose!!
    Here it is. I bolded the specs for a quick read.

Size: 11foot X 60inches.

Inside 2.2 Taffeta Tan. The light colored interior gives a really nice open feeling on the inside. Also easy to find my black beanie in the hammock when I drop it accidentally. On the downside, grass and bark marks and marks show up pretty fast. The taffeta feels more akin to 100% cotton bed sheets than the ripstop, but maybe the ripstop is closer to silk sheets because of the slickness. Time will tell how well it breaths and takes up sweat, dirt and oils.

Outside 1.9 Foliage Gray Ripstop. The ripstop stretches more than the taffeta. When I am in the hammock the taffeta bunches up around the edges and can make the zipper pulls a little harder (I just have to move around a little so I am not putting a load on that part of the hammock). I don't think I would want a two layers of taffeta because of the thickness, and I would very much like to hear people's experiences of mixing different ripstop materials in the two layers. For example, is it better to have the stronger material on the bottom or the the more stretching/conforming layer on the bottom?

1.1 Olive Brown Top. I am hoping the brown will help block out bright lights such as other campers' lights or even a full moon. Another way to go would be a cream color or a white so that light would bounce around in the hammock. Haven't had a chance to test either of these yet, although sitting during the daytime it was a nice calming color. Or maybe that was the hammock itself...

Original Single Zipper Pulls. I went with the original style single zipper pulls. There are still a lot of zippers in the hammock to keep track of! I'm 5'11 and I can barely close the zippers completely by scooting slightly up in the hammock. My wife who is several inches shorter can't close the zippers completely without really struggling. No surprise there, no one should expect a shorter person to be able to reach the ends in a long hammock, and PapaSmurf gives great guidance on workable dimensions. I added leashes to the zippers to make them easier to reach when opening.

Adjustable Separating Ridgeline. PapaSmurf also put in an ajustable ridgeline that, with Dutch's ridgeline carabiner, can be easily separated. So if I want to use the hammock inside I don't have a ridgeline blocking the view.

Pack hook tie-out system. Total of 4 smooth plastic hooks on either side. These work great for attaching a full length or 3/4 underquilt. Those with a weather shield my want to add 4 more hooks on either side. I ended up using Dutch Underquilt hangers to use with the 2QZQ weather shield. The hooks are very easy to use even with glove liners on. The hooks are a bit grabby even with lines already going through them. For example, I have to use caution when stuffing into my hammock bag. The stitching on them is excellent so they are there for the long haul.

Oversized, Double Ended Stuff Sack. I asked PapaSmurf for a slightly larger stuff sack because I tend to keep my underquilt on all the time. He sized it perfectly.

Odds and Ends:

Amsteel Chain Loops for Suspension. I attach to the chain loops with whoopie slings with Dutch Whoopie Hoops. These are in turn larks headed into tree huger and clipped around the tree with a carabiner.

2QZQ Peakbags. Even though the hammock comes with an excellent ridgeline organizer, it is nice to have extra space to stuff my AHE Snoreing Cub Pillow and a handkerchief. The dangerbird did not have loops sewn in on the ends (like the Switchback does), so I use zingit loops I purchased from whoopieslings.com to install prussik loops on the very ends. I use titanium Dutch hooks larksheaded onto the peakbags to make the attachment so that the bags are very secure, but can be easily removed.

Side Release Quilt Clips. These amazing things have holes in the ends that allow them to be slid over the ridgelide. This allows all sorts of things like my CPAP machine and battery, noted elsewhere, to be easily clipped in and out of the ridgeline very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Andersons View Post
    Congrats! Now time to update your orofile
    OOPS. Thanks!!

TARPS: You'll see my favorite is an Arrowhead Equipment Shangri-La tarp. I have some customized ridgeline loops & tie-outs and it is by far my favorite tarp, but it may be a little short for the 11' dangerbird. I purchased AHE's Toxaway tarp. The Toxaway is longer than the Shangri-La, but the cuts are a bit more aggressive on the sides so I have mixed feelings about it right now.

I have a neat trick for packing and unpacking the hammock, but that will need to wait for another post...

So far so good!!
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Congrats, Randy does excellent work; I love my ThunderBird....
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts