Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY DL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Rolled hem foot?

So I was in our local fabric store the other day with my wife, and she brought to my attention that there is a rolled hem foot for Brother machines. My eyes got big and my wife laughed at me for getting excited about it. But I wanted to come here to ask if anyone has used it first, and see if it was worth the $20 some odd dollars they were wanting for it? Anyone?

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Rolled hem foot?

I bought one, tried it, could never get it to be consistent, took it back and got a refund. The foot makes a very small hem and with ripstop, it would make a hem for a bit, but by the time I got to the edge, it wouldn't turn the material under correctly. I think many others have had similar experiences and end up doing their rolled hems by hand (with their machines.)
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DIY Bridge - Pirogue
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat
    Images
    I have one, I've never managed to make it work with 1.1 or 1.9 ripstop (or silnylon, for that matter).

I find that I get much better results doing rolled hems by hand. Here's how I do it:
    First, pin the first inch or two, then stitch hem in place at the pins. Then, feed the fabric into the machine. As you do so, roll the next six inches or so, then sew it, then repeat. If you're careful you can figure the technique out pretty quickly. Using that technique, I sewed a 1/4" rolled hem on my DIY winter tarp that looks pretty good..

YMMV, though, if you want to buy & try it. Maybe you'll get it to work for you.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The jury is split on these. I see no point to them having never been able to get them to work. Other folks use them and really like them. Pays your money and takes your chances. FWIW my professional seamstress wife doesn't care for them either. But its your call.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Like Junebugdawn said, the rolled hem foot makes a very small hem (although I think you can get them in different sizes). I used it to finish the edges of 1.1 oz ripstop while I was making my top quilt. After cutting out my top and bottom pieces, I rolled the edges. This kept them from fraying while I sewed the baffles in place. But when it came to making the final hems on the top quilt, it was useless.

It does make a very nice finished edge, but it is usually used for finishing a single layer of fabric, such as silk scarves and handkerchiefs.

Also, it takes a bit to learn how to use it. You have to feed the material into the foot just right...

It's one of those things that when you need it, it's really nice to have, but frankly, I don't think I'll be needing it much.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Look at how big of a hem it makes. I wouldn't go smaller than 1/4". I had a 1/8" foot and it wouldn't feed the material correctly. I think it was too slippery to hold the roll shape, and didn't feed well.

Tarp
    DIY Sil CatHex
    you can tell how big of a hem it will make by looking at the channel on the bottom side of the foot. Saying this, I cannot get consistency with ripstop so I don't use mine.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I spent several hours trying to get it figured out, but I never could quite get the hang of it. That's unusual for me, because I can usually figure out just about anything.....Not that thing though It could have been my fabric was too thin, or a multitude of other factors, but I just couldn't get it to work right for me.

Good luck.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Same here, couldn't get it to work consistently. Can get good, consistent results by hand.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow thanks guys! The input is excellent! I am glad I asked now. It seems like I should just buck up and work on my skills a little. No easy way out. If my wife ends up getting it (she is a budding seamstress) I may give it a go. But even she mentioned it as kind of a novelty. I will let you know how it goes. Again thank you all for the input.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast