Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bad first hang, need some advice

Hello Hammock Forums, been browsing for a couple months and decided to sign up to get in on the fun. I've tried my hammock about 3 nights now, with little enjoyment.

I recently bought a Hennessy Expedition, and like the title says, had a bit of a rough start. For starters I immediately had to get new tree straps, as the ones that came with the hammock were tiny. I bought some cargo straps from a local hardware store, they work great for the trees in Arkansas, but are heavy.

Also the setup time is mega long compared to other people's configurations. My buddy bought an ENO at the same time and he literally just clips the hammock to the straps and he's ready in a minute while I'm still wrapping up one end of the rope to a strap.

I have a feeling the hammock is too short for me. I'm right at about 6ft and it seems like my feet are getting squished together, mostly my right foot being pushed inward from the side of the hammock. This is really uncomfortable. I used a spare jacket to prop my knees up, and that seemed to help a little bit, but my ankles were really sore in the morning.

Once I did get to sleep for a couple hours I then woke up freezing at about 4am. I do not have the money for an under-quilt so I've just been waiting out the weather until the nights are warm.

I really want to enjoy hammocking but I feel like I wasted a bunch of money and that I'll need to get another hammock anyway. Really if I could figure out the right foot issue I think I could work with it.

Thanks a lot for reading and any suggestions are appreciated. This is my first time really trying to get into the outdoors thing. I work in a computer lab and mostly play video games and guitar, so this is a whole new world for me. Wait...you can make your own equipment....?

TLDR;
    Feet being squished together
    Setup time is horribly long
    Need new tree straps
    Cold butt
    Feel like I wasted my money

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Look into switching out your suspension to tree straps and whoopie slings. Will speed you up tons. As to the cold look into a cheap Walmart blue sleep pad. Unti you get into this completely it should help. Not sure on the squeeze issues since I have not used a Hennessy.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Re: Bad first hang, need some advice

You need to lay in the hammock at an angle.
    Bob and Bev

"The measure of a life is not its duration but its donation." Corrie Ten Boom

"Life is measured not by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away." attributed to a variety of different people

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Came with HH
    Insulation
    JRB TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopieslings
    Hi MadCow19,

I am new to hammocking myself. I got myself the whoopieslings, and it still took me an hour to get my setup figured out on my first hang. My first sit attempt landed my *** smack on the ground. Luckily, I had hung the hammock only a foot from the ground.

I think I now have a better idea on how to use whoopie slings. Partly, I think the time goes in getting familiar with the equipment and figuring out height of straps, distance of trees, understanding how the ridge line helps. All this is going to overshadow any gains from better suspension. It took me 8 minutes to get my setup undone and packed in snake skins, and I didn't even use the tarp! I expect I will be a faster as I use the equipment more.

You are right about the cold. It definitely dampens spirits, but once you figure out the pad system that works best for you, I suspect you will slowly enjoy the experience more. I have found this to be the case for me.

Good hanging!

I know enough about the thing to have slept at an angle. Hints why my right foot is getting squished over.

At first glance whoopie slings seem a little confusing, I'll have to look into that some more.

I'll go pick up one of those pads and test it out, thanks for the suggestions

Side note, any recommendations on a sleeping bag? The one I have is HUGE, it seriously is the only thing that fits in my hiking backpack. I really don't want to bust out $300 on some super modern mega ultralight bag, but my old one has got to go.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow19 View Post
    Side note, any recommendations on a sleeping bag? The one I have is HUGE, it seriously is the only thing that fits in my hiking backpack. I really don't want to bust out $300 on some super modern mega ultralight bag, but my old one has got to go.
    What's your budget like? That would help to narrow down your options. For myself, I've been eyeing EE's Revelation X quilts. $205 for a quality(from what I've heard in this forum) 20 deg down quilt that can be completely opened out for warmer nights or tightly cinched down with a sleeping pad should you need to go to ground on colder nights.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies

Re: Bad first hang, need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by madcow19 View Post
    Personal opinion ensues...

If you really think you and hammocking can work out the kinks, and you likely can, don't waste money on another bag. Buy a wally world blue pad for like $8 and save your beans for an underquilt and topquilt combo. If you want to take it a step further and you don't plan to be below around 50 degrees (for the no-sew version, the sewn version can theoretically be made for any temperature) , look into making a PLUQ (that's poncho liner underquilt) for around $30. Some prefer pads over quilts, but it seems the majority prefer an underquilt. And the topquilt saves a good bit of volume and weight over a bag.

Again, my $0.02.

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    I am 6' plus and have slept comfortably in a HHBPUL. It is easier to find a comfortable lay in a larger hammock. I often end up sleeping on my side in foetal position, using a pillow, jacket or clothing between my knees regardless of which hammock I am in.
    CCF pads are effective and cheap way to avoid CBS. You can check out SPEs to protect shoulders from the cold. I have simply used a short piece across the top , like a capital 'T'. Extra clothes have served to keep the cold from my knees.

Keep on hangin' in there.
    Hangin' High and Dry

Hammock
    WBBB XLC & DH TBird - Toss up!
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    All things Dutch
    I took the ropes off my Hen explorer replaced them with a 15" continuous loop of Amstel. Added cinch buckles, 10' straps with loop sewn on one end and a carabiner. I used 2 colors for the loops and the straps for quicker set up. Red for the head end, black for the foot end. The carabiner goes in the loop and around the tree and hooks back onto the strap. chinch buckles allow sliding back and forth to position the hammock length and height wise. Other hangers like the whoppie sling set up but i didn't. Either one makes setup very quick and very adjustable. You can make all this yourself or hit the DIY sites and buy a full setup. Dutch, papa smurf, Brandon, arrowhead they all have variations and are lighter weight & very cool.
    As far as the lower legs, ankles & heels issues, I have mitigated 98% of it and still working on the last little bit. Hang of the hammock is key, 30-35* sag with leg end as much as a foot higher. Pull yourself down toward the foot end to get your feet and legs up above your head. Next lay at an angle head LHS legs & feet RHS. This gets me 98% there. The last bit is I use a small camping pillow under my legs & ankles to relieve that little pressure on my heels. PRACTICE, EXPERIMENT at home on Sunday afternoon not at the campsite.
    Insulation is also key even in summer. Laying on a sleeping bag compresses the loft out of a bag. Wwith no pad or ground underneath you do the math even on a warm night there is easily a 20-40* temp diff. brrr A regular thermarest pad is a easy place to start if you have one. I didn't so I built one out of builders insulation and duct tape. worked until it dropped below 40 again BRRRR. Me being el cheepo I took a crappy sleeping bag bungied the 4 corners and actually got a pretty warm night out of it but then the wind and rain kicked in and it was pretty soggy and frosty ..... So I bucked up and got under quilts for the whole crew. Go see stormcrow at hammockgear.com or war bonnet or arrowhead...good luck and once you dial it in you'll never sleep on the ground again ....Tikhon out"

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have never been in a Hennessey but by all accounts its a great hammock. I think you just have to keep experimenting and fine tuning your set up. That is part of the fun. This forum has a ton of information. Youtube is helpful too. Don't be afraid to experiment.

The reward for your efforts is a setup that you will enjoy using for a long time. You'll start noticing trees that are perfectly spaced apart soon...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast