Windshield pad under, not in, the hammock

I can't find something on this in the forums so my apologies if it is a duplicate.

After trying a windshield pad inside the hammock for my son's hammock, he did not like it--it kept shifting, was bunchy, etc.

We tried different ways to suspend it under the hammock (it is a single-layer Hennessy Scout), and finally came up with the idea of just sewing some loops on the end. There were already 2 elastic loops so we sewed 2 string loops on the other end to get 4.

Each loop is stretched up one side of the hammock, then tied off over the top of the ridge line and back to a glove hook near the gathering point.

This seemed to work well without any sort of secondary hammock layer to hold it in.

But I'm concerned about durability over the span of a multi-day trip...or other problems I'm not considering at the moment. Thoughts on this setup/improvements?

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    It occurrs to me that you could just "quilt" an exterior layer of lightweight nylon to the outside of it. This would make something like a PLUQ and it would firm up and reinforce the attachment points. Windshield protectors are pretty fragile on their own but very light. Interesting.....
    "Live your life so that your children can tell their children that you not only stood for something wonderful- you acted on it"
    -Dan Zadra

It's fragile in terms of the silver and foam part I believe (?) but it has a fabric edging that can be sewn to.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Well I have been using reflectix for awhile now and it is the exact same thing as those car windshield reflectors. Although, they are not made out of foam. It is basically just bubble wrap with aluminum foil over it. Surprisingly it is very durable. Been laying on it and standing on it for many trips. You could probably stitch some fabric onto it with no issues or use some gorilla tape to make some loops. As for the functionality of it hanging from under the hammock, I wouldn't be surprised if he experiences CBS a few times. It really needs to be inside the hammock. I just takes some getting used to..If all else fails just go to Lowes and buy a role of the reflectix. They sell it in different widths; as wide as 42"

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I see an air gap at the butt end...CBS territory

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    I use a smaller windsheald pad but have fond it works best between my UQ and hammock
    I aslo glued some fabrick to for durability
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

It was a bit more form-fitting with him in the hammock. If you look at my hammock behind it with a Hammock Gear UQ there's a gap too until you lie in it.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    I use a PLUQ with 2 of those reflectors in it. I use velcro stitched to the inside of the PL and stuck to the reflectors to keep them in place when hanging it. It will get me down to the low 40's F. If it gets much colder I can use a pad inside the hammock as well and that will take me down as low as I ever expect to go. I'm still experimenting with various options though, including doing away with the poncho liner and using the reflectors and a pad inside the hammock only. That should work well too, and without the issues of how to suspend the underquilt.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I also think you have a seal problem. You might look at some of McIntyre's descriptions of how he uses scrim reinforced foam to do the same thing. He cuts darts out of the sides and closes them up to get a cup shape. The regular UQ has a gap when the hammock is empty but once you are in it loft and thickness let you compress part a little more while the loft fills the wider gaps. With a flat thin pad there is no room to fudge small differences.

I wonder if part of his problem is the thin soft pad. It's easy to scrunch. A CCF from Walmart would not be so easy.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts