Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cutting ripstop

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    hey anyone think of using one of those cold heat soldering guns you see on tv..we have them at my walmart...the heat up instantly and return to finger cool in seconds.. i wonder if that would cut as well ... just mark material .and use the tool like a box cutter ..place.. push trigger ..and zip...might be worth a try..
    They won't work. The tip is two-parts, it requires the tip to touch something conductive to complete the circuit and heat up. Maybe if you soaked your material in water first?

How important is it to sear the edges of the material anyways? I double hem all my edges, so at least I can't see any of the messed up edges. I'm not sure how likely the nylon is to fray past the hem however.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I think I am coming to the conclusion that the Maglite to to Bird Dog as the jet boil/Tom Clayor hammock is to neo.
    Or...maybe like "Girls with frickin lasers on their heads" to someone else! Except they actually have theirs.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post
    They won't work. The tip is two-parts, it requires the tip to touch something conductive to complete the circuit and heat up. Maybe if you soaked your material in water first?

How important is it to sear the edges of the material anyways? I double hem all my edges, so at least I can't see any of the messed up edges. I'm not sure how likely the nylon is to fray past the hem however.
    i don't think you really need to sear the edges of sil. but the hot cut w/ a strait edge would just be a quick, easy, strait cut.
    other nylon fabric that's not sil, would probably not fray so easy if it was cut w/ heat.
    some of the un-treated ripstop i've used frays so easy it starts fraying before i get it hemed.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    Or...maybe like "Girls with frickin lasers on their heads" to someone else! Except they actually have theirs.
    Low man very low.

All in good fun though.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post

I second the no on cold heat irons, for the same reason. I have one and only used it a little bit. I would only use it on soldering jobs where it was one or two or very far from a plug. For everything else it is a normal iron. Not that I do that much.

On the heat sealing, I am a cauious person when it comes to my gear. Heat sealing only takes a few minutes and gives me a lot of return for my time in terms of saftey and piece of mind. Well worth it for me. Especially on something weight bearing like a hammock.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234