My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    When its below freezing, I usually use my 5oz. Climashield XP quilts that my wife made. I always wear my mid-weight thermals and my wool socks to bed, and my windproof fleece with hood and a beanie. I keep very warm with this setup, and have been down to 15*F, sometimes I put my windshield reflector in too. I keep my tarp doors closed too. I really want to go to down, but its a want, I really do not need it for any reason. Climashield compresses well for synthetic, and when my quilt wears out, I will beg for down again .

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Lucky you....I wish I had that anti-freeze for blood Ohhh well I do great in my current setup so I can't really complain but it would be nice to not have to worry about bottom insulation.
    depends what you consider "bottom insulation". I am by no means a small man
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plowhorse View Post
    depends what you consider "bottom insulation". I am by no means a small man
    Ahhh that might explain it....I'm like a freaking string bean so I have no "natural" insulation

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

...me be iceman?

Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    ...a select few "icemen" here who seem to be able to get sometimes into the 20s without bottom insulation...
    I can't do without bottom insulation, but all I need is a KAQ at 20 degF.

Don't need much for top insulation, although I climb in fully clothed. I have never used anything but an unzipped Speer Frog Sac, which is a light summer bag, and a Wiggy's poncho liner quilt. They kept me cozy to 10 degF, while Ed Speer hung his PPod in the next tree, just shaking his head in wonder...

If I were to use any goose feathers at all, I would be more inclined to get an UQ in down, and stick to synthetic for a top quilt. Generate the heat at the bottom, and let it out at the top.

What I lack for really cold weather is proper boots and clothing.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No iceman here, but I can go pretty cold. I get excited when the temps are zero and below. I am currently in transition from a synthetic UQ solution to a down solution. You can't take my down topquilt away at gunpoint (I point back), but I've been leery about using it below and outside of the hammock. I, like most, was concerned about it getting wet. However, after several months of really putting it through the ringer, I've discovered I like it outside too! Any small amount of moisture that occasionally gets past my tarp defenses is handled quite easily by the UQ's shell. You can't beat goose goodness!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinahammockhanger View Post
    I need a new sleeping bag and I'm new to hammocking. I'm looking for a 40 degree bag for spring/summer/fall use in NC. I've been told while in a hammock down bags will compress more on the bottom and leave me cold while a synthetic bag will not, or at least not as much. I have a thermarest prolite4 and ridgerest. Not sure which of those to use as well. Does anybody use a down sleeping bag w/o underquilt in moderate conditions? What are your experiences? Anybody who has used both a down and synthetic and could give me differences would be ideal. I like the idea of down because I do the ultralite thing, but I would rather be warm. If I should get a synthetic no problem, just wanna know. Thanks in advance. This form site is the best!
    I had this same debate with myself this winter and I went with a down bag. I haven't gotten it out to the field yet but have had some time to do some back yard testing. I also use a CCF pad but when its not going to be real cold I can make do with just a piece to put under my hips. It sounds like you are a summer hanger and I would think if you want to save the weight you will do just fine with down. Most of my summer trips I don't bring a pad and before this bag I had a 35 degree old cheap synthetic bag.

The reason I chose the bag I did was b/c it was windproof. I tested it in some heavy winds a few weeks ago and it seems to be true but it was a warm night. I am anxious to get it out on the trail and really give it a test.

http://www.rei.com/product/731790

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    If you are trying to stay lite, you might want to have a look at the Stealth or similiar down quilts that JRB produces.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable%20Quilts.htm

Images
    it should also be pointed out that all synthetic insulation is not the same. a coleman synthetic is going to compress much less under you than a high end synthetic which will be alot more compressible. you're not going to get much bottom insulation out of primaloft or climashield wheras you might get a noticeble amount from a coleman-type. but the bulk/weight of the coleman probably makes up for the bulk/weight you save by not having a pad, and i'd say most would still need something else underneath in cold temps even with a really bulky synthetic.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Have you considered a Speer PeaPod?
    http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm
    Hurry... Sale ends soon.

A goose down bag that wraps around you, but you don't lay directly on the down. So this retains loft underneath. This concept works very well and keeps me toasty warm in +10*F weather. Add some extra layers of clothing and I find you can get into subzero temps just fine.

Just a thought. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    I bought a 40degree Mont-Bell super stretch from http://www.backcountrygear.com/sleep...light_down.cfm
    It weighs next to nothing, so amall I did not even try to compress it, and it was only 135.00 on sale. Nice thing about it is it stretches to fit my fatness I bought a 60in x 6ft Volara foam and cut to 30in carving a bit from head and foot area at angles. Fits in hamock nicle and kept me true to the 40degree comfort mark last weekend(yes it can get sort of cold in FL). The bag I use as a quilt opened up, it worked great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast