WTB: UnderQuilt for HH

Hi. I just purchased a HH expedition and realize that I am going to get cold.
    I am looking for an underquilt that is 3 season, on the warmer side is better.

I am looking to spend under $200 and am leaving for my NM camping trip on the 26th so I hope that someone here can help me out.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hennessy has a solution that can fit into your budget: http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/insulation/. There are many Hennessy users here who have found that they can get to freezing and below with this.

I've read overall mixed reviews on the supershelter and most people like underquilts.
    Am I wrong?

Images
    I use both. The super shelter has never failed me. I had it down to 14* this winter with my zeus down jacket between the pad and the undercover, and slept warm with a 15* bag on top as a quilt. I did use the over cover as well, and it was frozen over with condensation by morning.

I had a lot of trouble keeping quilts in place. I move around a lot in my sleep, and they would slip off to one side or the other. Both of my quilts are partial length, so that may make a difference. Using a quilt with a zip model is much easier to work with and adjust than a bottom entry. the exception to this may be one of the quilts made to fit a bottom entry Hennessy, both JRB and Arrowhead Equip. make one.

That said I will continue to use my quilts when it is warmer to upper 20's because they are lighter than the super shelter. I get a little cold when I go below 25* with my warmest quilt(which is about where it is rated for). A winter quilt is going to weigh as much as the super shelter, so I can't se me buying another quilt. If I could only have one of the above I would keep my super shelter, because it works for me in any of the conditions I have tried it from low 60's to 14*.

Ragnall

Okay, let me clarify. I am not concerned with weight and my HH is a side entry. 99% camping in dry weather.

I basically am looking to get the warmest option/best bang for the buck.

Thanks you guys! I have learned a lot lurking here.
    Last edited by robabeatle; 05-10-2013 at 12:25.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: WTB: UnderQuilt for HH

I have used the super shelter with great success and have recently bought an under quilt. I like them both for different reasons. The super shelter is bomb proof for me and I am not overly concerned with weight but recently bought an 11ft hammock and needed to go with an under quilt that I like very much. I can't say which one I like better yet but both seem to work just fine for ME.

Okay, bought a slightly used zepplin 20 degree from a user on here.

I'm stoked to try it in a few weeks in the NM national forest and then CO plus Yellowstone later this summer!

Mods: feel free to delete.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    AHE TOXAWAY
    Insulation
    HG INCU/ EE REV X
    Well you did not go wrong there, They are making my brothers dad and i some top and bottom quilts now.

Hammock
    WL Nite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    KAQ under, WL over
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good luck with the new quilt and please let us know how it works!

Thanks everyone!

• + New Posts