Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liners
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies

Flex 180 Suspension Mod Advice

Hi, I just plunked down the cash for a new Flex. I don't expect I will be satisfied with the standard rope setup for long. My other Clark has a set of Amsteel Whoopies and I was thinking I could switch them over to the Flex.. but does that mean I need to get a third Whoopie? Or maybe y'all can convince me of a whole different suspension setup that I will like better. I was thinking a spreader bar might be nice to have.. JRB is out of stock.. where else can I get one or should I just make one somehow? I have about two weeks to plan my setup and then I will be using it (with my girlfriend) for a solid 18 days. I am short on time for things like obsessive hammock research, so I am hoping someone can just tell me what to do and then I will do it and be happy.

Hammock
    Too many
    Tarp
    Too many
    Insulation
    Too many
    Suspension
    Too many
    Images
    I got some whoopies from Stu, unfortunately only 2 tho, so wanna get a 3rd one to see what I can do t find my ideal setup. Im thinking of using just 2 for now (may take a while to get more from Stu as based in Moscow now), and one of the original lines (the one on the smaller bed end is a smaller diameter rope than the rest, so Ill keep that one).

Also, Im considering using a 3/4" PVC pipe as a spreader bar. Wanna cut slits on the ends which the suspension can slide into and hold in place somehow (maybe by knots or just by lashing) which will be lighter than metal rings. PVC is light and with end caps, I can probably use it as a container of some sort so it has dual uses...

Trial and error is probably the best way to find out all this stuff, as the flex-180 is a relatively new hammock and not many people own one. So you can probably use your 18 day trip to experiment! Grab a 3/4" PVC pipe, and trekking pole in case the pipe doesn't work, and take along the whoopies and the original suspension to play around with.

Good luck!
    From the trees we came, to the trees we shall return

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sinthome View Post
    Hi, I just plunked down the cash for a new Flex. I don't expect I will be satisfied with the standard rope setup for long. My other Clark has a set of Amsteel Whoopies and I was thinking I could switch them over to the Flex.. but does that mean I need to get a third Whoopie? Or maybe y'all can convince me of a whole different suspension setup that I will like better. I was thinking a spreader bar might be nice to have.. JRB is out of stock.. where else can I get one or should I just make one somehow? I have about two weeks to plan my setup and then I will be using it (with my girlfriend) for a solid 18 days. I am short on time for things like obsessive hammock research, so I am hoping someone can just tell me what to do and then I will do it and be happy.
    The whoopies will work, and you can use the original line for the 3rd connection as russwestwood suggested. I replaced all my lines with a cinch buckle on the gathered end and whoopies with Dutch hooks on the wide end. I was experimenting with different suspensions and came to like this way.

As for spreader bar, I have the JRB, but haven't really needed it yet. I did consider using an arrow shaft with nocks on both ends, but decided on the JRB bar.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liners
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Cool, thanks for the encouragement. I think pvc is actually pretty heavy. I would look into a thinner wall pipe of some sort. An arrow shaft would be excellent, but you would likely need to connect a few together and they would be brittle at the connection points. I am curious what the JRB spreader looks like and how much stress it needs to withstand.

What is a cinch buckle? Is it a commonly used hammocking item? I would be curious to see it, if you can take a pic. Thanks again.

Images
    Cool, thanks for the encouragement. I think pvc is actually pretty heavy. I would look into a thinner wall pipe of some sort. An arrow shaft would be excellent, but you would likely need to connect a few together and they would be brittle at the connection points. I am curious what the JRB spreader looks like and how much stress it needs to withstand.

What is a cinch buckle? Is it a commonly used hammocking item? I would be curious to see it, if you can take a pic. Thanks again.
    I decided on the JRB spreader bar because it comes in 2 pieces and the arrow shaft would be a one piece spreader that would be too long for my pack. IMO only, I don't think the spreader bar come under much stress. At least when I tried it, I did not feel it was being stressed. Maybe someone else with a few more brain cells than me could tell you.

I'm attaching some pictures that show the cinch buckle and the Dutch hook that I bought from Dutch. Warbonnet and Arrowhead Equipment also sell cinch buckles.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liners
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Thanks for the photos! So, it looks like you are using "Chain Link" loops on all three attachment points? Then with the Dutch Hooks, they go to Whoopie slings and then what do you use to attach to the tree straps? I am thinking about going with Dutch Clips/Buckles on all three attachment points.. any foreseeable drawbacks to that setup (a little heavier, I suppose)?

Images
    Thanks for the photos! So, it looks like you are using "Chain Link" loops on all three attachment points? Then with the Dutch Hooks, they go to Whoopie slings and then what do you use to attach to the tree straps? I am thinking about going with Dutch Clips/Buckles on all three attachment points.. any foreseeable drawbacks to that setup (a little heavier, I suppose)?
    Yes, loops on all three attachment points. I have 1" tree hugger straps attached directly to the whoopie slings. Here's a link to the complete suspension I bought from Dutch for this. I bought the Hennessey version with the 15" loop, but the regular version with the 8" loop would be sufficient.

http://dutchwaregear.com/whoopie-hoo...pie-sling.html

I think what you have in mind is fine; it's all about personal preferences. I don't consider weight as much since I either canoe or pull a toboggan in the winter. Even if I did a lot of backpacking, I might compensate for weight by adjusting some other gear. Let us know how it works out for you.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liners
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Well, I have been experimenting with my new Flex since yesterday, and I have yet to figure out a real flat hang with just myself or with two people involved. That sewed ridge in the middle of the floor makes it tremendously uncomfortable without a sleeping pad under me. Any tips on it?

Images
    Well, I have been experimenting with my new Flex since yesterday, and I have yet to figure out a real flat hang with just myself or with two people involved. That sewed ridge in the middle of the floor makes it tremendously uncomfortable without a sleeping pad under me. Any tips on it?
    Never tried 2 people, but I get a flat lay on the diagonal with the head towards the wide end. I've also gotten a flat lay with my head towards the gathered end on the diagonal but prefer the head the other way. When I'm on the diagonal, I can feel the far edge of the sewn ridge between my shoulder blades. It doesn't bother me; I just notice that's where I am on the ridge.

I hang the hammock with the gathered end higher. On the wide end, the secondary corner is hung lower so it looks like it tilts from the outside.

• + New Posts