Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Webbing

How long do you keep your down compressed?

I was wondering, how long you can keep down compressed and it not lose its' loft? Any input appreciated.
    Try you may, fail you might. -unknown

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: How long do you keep your down compressed?

That's a hard question to answer... I can say this, I have a down sleeping bag my mom bought in the 70's sometime... And it stayed compressed all of my life and it still lofts up quite nicely... I think what does more damage is repeated over compression and reloft... I guess cycling it between lofted and compressed is what I am saying does the most damage.

Now that being said I still use that sleeping bag but it stays lofted in a pillow case unless it's compressed into the stuff sack and on a trip with me.
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

How long do you keep your down compressed?

I put mine in a stuff sack the night before a trip and remove it as soon as I return home. All my down either hangs from a hook or lives in a super-sized, cotton pillow case at home.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    The down I used in my TQ and UQ was from a Frostline kit that was at least 25 years old most likely. The down was packaged in plastic baggies with 2 oz each. It lofted up just fine. I store my quilts hanging up.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    The down I used in my TQ and UQ was from a Frostline kit that was at least 25 years old most likely. The down was packaged in plastic baggies with 2 oz each. It lofted up just fine. I store my quilts hanging up.
    wow. Me too! I still have some frostline down that's what, >30 years old, compressed into a puck...

Bought a 80's vintage down bag, was compressed for years. washed it and it's toasty warm!

I don't have hanging room, so they're kept in laundry bags...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    great thread. thanks everyone. I learned something here

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Striking set of answers

The usual is that down should remain uncompressed, even though it seems unlikely that it is shipped and stored that way.

Similarly even though down is heavily laundered and sterilized or pasteurized to kill viruses and remove all dirt, you'll often find expressions of concern for stripping out natural oils, as though the concerned had lanolin in mind, something in unprocessed wool.

My guess is that there's some well-done research somewhere on the OP's question, because it must be of concern to manufacturers.

I would also guess that compression has little to do with loft recovery and everything to do with the container in which it is compressed and the condition of the down before it goes in that container. Wet down will grow moldy and compressed down which is wet will not dry out before it grows moldy. But, dry down? No. So, every seller (here) who assures you that her down quilt for sale is hanging uncompressed is more significantly implicitly reassuring you that by including enough air to loft the garment, the down has had a chance to dry out. It hasn't been (ever, you hope) stored the least bit damp.

Regarding fear of washing: Most down goes into bags / quilts that have limited air and water vapor flow. Down-proofing restricts those flows if the end user's desire to reduce convection flows totally through the garment did not. This means that getting water and detergent in and out of the garment is not easy. Neither is getting air in to promote evaporation and water vapor out to be sure the down is left completely dry. How many people will ruin their down garments with either incomplete drying or drying at so high a temperature the nylon shell is crinkled? Too many.

Result: A phobia about washing that is not about washing at all, but about getting and keeping the down garment mold-free after washing. And those detergents that might remain in an incompletely-rinsed garment? They're hydrophilic, attracting and bonding to water, which will mold and reduce loft besides.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 05-11-2013 at 04:49. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I store mine in large cotton bags under a spare bed, compressing them into stuff sacks when I pack for a trip.
    My quilts are the first thing in my pack when I'm packing, I find the trick is to lay everything out until the last possible minute and then load up the night before I leave.
    Down will fold and eventually become flat over time, I suppose the logic is the more you compress and stuff your quilts the quicker this process becomes. Reducing the number of times you compress and stuff your quilts will give you longer service.
    If you ever get a feather that escapes from a quilt, roll it and squash it in your fingers for a while and you'll see it eventually becomes limp and flat.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Demostix probably has a point with detergent. I learned to wash down with Woolite because it was designed to rinse out easily in cool water. I also learned to surface clean bags as most dirt did not penetrate into the down. Down is similar to wool in that one can clean the surface dirt or one can chemically strip it. I was taught that good down was washed and dried to clean the surface dirt the same way a good wool can be and that was what was best for the down or the wool. I have played around with the hand spinning community to understand the wool side so I take the down on faith. At least that is how I treat mine.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Mine is only stuffed when being carried on my back. It gets hung and stays lofted as soon as I get home from a trip. I wash mine, about twice a year and use Graingers down wash, it is a bit pricey but my down once dry lofts out amazingly. I dry on the lowest temp in the dryer (have never used tennis balls) and then hang it outside in the day time only, to air out and have never had any issues. Been using down for years. I think people are scared of down because of the price. I dont abuse any of my gear but things happen and my down has held fine.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast