Quote Originally Posted by pyro0 View Post
Well, I'm currently funemployed and can't spend 100+ on a hammock and 100+ on a tarp. I'd like to, but just can not at the moment.

Is the adjustable ridge line absolutely necessary or is it just a convenience thing? Can't I just adjust the anchor point on a tree to give it more slack?
I was talking suspension, buy 40' of Amsteel from Redden Marine for a whopping $9.20 before the HF discount or any other promo they are running. You'll have a GTUL with whoopie slings and an SRL that you can easily sell here if you don't like it. Don't think too many people will be interested in taking a makeshift suspension system off your hands, but I could be wrong.

I too am enjoying this wonderful economy-same as you, so I feel your pain. I've been hanging in a $13 Kmart hammock with the above setup and Harbor Freight straps, under a discount rack DIY ripstop tarp. My Skeeter Beater and Funky Forest tarp were purchased after A LOT of saving and waiting for discounts from GT.

A ridgeline isn't absolutely necessary, but it sure shortens the learning curve. Takes around 12" of Amsteel at a whopping $3 or so, well worth it in my opinion. My biggest difficulty when I started was getting a consistent setup, a problem eliminated by the SRL.